They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Some pretty coastal and lake shots from last weekend

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Some pretty coastal and lake shots from last weekend

Postby rolawren » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:33 am

Hi,

Just put together some shots from my trip down the coast of the past four days. The first full weekend of winter. Did not take much footage, but thought if I don't put it together now, I probably won't ever get around to it. Lots of birds as usual, as that is what I am keen on.

Was trying out crops (first time), motion background (first time - slowed one down abit).

[I still need to buy a decent tripod and head before we go away in July to the outback of NSW, SA for a couple of weeks.
I have a Panasonic Handycam style of camera ~ $550 AUD.
]

Is there anything I can do to improve the sunset beach shots (beach faces east). I tried sharpen (the default), but there is probably not much I could do as the sun was setting fast. Nice colours and reflections though.

Any comments welcome, but really I am just putting this one together for fun. The Brown Snakes video is the real one that I am looking for advice or help on - probably repost next week.

I now have of today the PE 2.0 in a Snap book, but of course have not had time to read it yet. Mucking around with this video as there was nothing good on TV tonight.

[quicktime]http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/11022/south_coast.mov[/quicktime]

Regards,

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Some pretty coastal and lake shots from last weekend

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:55 pm

Beautiful scenery. The beach scene at the beginning looks very relaxing. Thanks for sharing.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Paul LS » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Some lovely video... wish our winters were like that in the UK... :(
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rolawren » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks for your comments. Yes, we are odd, we go down the coast more in the winter and early spring or late autumn, to beat the peak season prices and crowds. The weather is still generally very nice - think the warmest day was about 17 degree Celsius and sunny (62.6 degree Fahrenheit). We had one rainy morning out of the four days, but just stayed inside and read the papers until it passed over.

Saw some dolphins around 8 to 10 in a group when we were having coffee at the wharf, but they were too far away for my little camera. I was hoping they would be in the breaking waves when we were down the beach, but no just luck.

Regards, :-D

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:01 am

Like the shot of the frigate bird - I have never managed to do that as they are either too far away or are just moving too fast.

Re the tripod. I am sure everyone will have their own favourite. I have a Libec 650 Pro and it does all that I want. To me it is a good compromise between consumer affordability versus out and out pro prices. :???:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby rolawren » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:10 am

Yes, I am proud of the Lesser Frigate Bird (well - ID'ed by the way), as I did this as with most of the other bird shots without a tripod and it was not that close. Must admit the Frigate bird and the Kingfisher and one other wader at the end were shots from our visit in March, not just this weekend. However I thought I would not complicate the issue in my explanation of my visit down the coast video and the weather that weekend in March was only slightly warmer (it was cold for March, and about normal for June just now).

And we got written up in the Rare Birds report for New South Wales in a Birds magazine this month, my partner Leo showed me last night, as the Lesser Frigate Bird is very rare for that far down south in Australia and we reported it straight-away when we got home (it has only been reported a couple of times around there or slightly further south ever). I said that I had decent video that I could submit for an ID, but Leo had better stills that he processed in Photoshop to submit to the rarities.

Nice that you noticed, did you see the Sea Eagle in the same clip as well (not that it is rare at all, and in fact we normally get much better views of it!).

Regards, \:D/

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rolawren » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Re the tripod. I am sure everyone will have their own favourite. I have a Libec 650 Pro and it does all that I want. To me it is a good compromise between consumer affordability versus out and out pro prices. :???:

Also thanks for the idea about the tripod. I plan to next weekend to order one online, or go into a shop in town, except we don't have that much choice here. It is better in Sydney or Adelaide, so we order most of our gear online, once we get enough recommendations or based on reviews. I have a $50 special (at the moment - that is likely to be thrown into the ocean or river or lake before long - only joking, but it is rubbish and will not pan or actually stay horizontal!).

Regards,

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:30 am

Very nice, Robyn! Such beautiful scenery!

I've got to get to that country at some point in my life!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rolawren » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:49 am

Same with me with the U.S. when I see scenes of the Rockies and the Desert regions. But if you like desert and outback I am sure with some of my attempts in the next month might be interesting. We are going back to our favourite closer regions of the outback from here i.e. some of the more accessible desert regions. Just wish I had more talent to bring the desert and the people that live there that we meet each time.

Regards, :alien:

P.S. I just pick smilies that appeal to me at the time. The idea of going "bush" soonish evokes an alien smilie. So if I have offended anyone let me know.! :)

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rolawren » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:15 am

They had an article on the radio today, that they guess that most people would have no idea that a couple of kms (or miles) from landing at the airport in Canberra that most O/S visitors would see plenty of kangaroos and wallabies, plus heaps of other iconic Australian animals.

Admittedly we don't have wild Emus here, but they are only several 100's kms away. We do have Platypus, Wombat, Echidna, Sugar Gliders, all sort of Possums etc. right here in Canberra the capital of Australia and at the Botanic Gardens where I used to work and near where I live. Promise you anyone in Canberra can take an O/S person to see Kangaroos (and lots of other wild animals - snakes, reptiles, etc.) within a 5 minute drive where-ever you live in Canberra.

(Sorry - if I seem a bit one-sided, this is sort of my job and passion!)

Regards,

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:58 am

What? No funnel web spiders hiding in the dunny? :lol:
Get bitten on your bum by one of them then you'll find out who your real friends are (falls about laughing insanely) :lol: :lol:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:35 am

I thought that was more of a red back spider problem. But, a bite on the bum by either wouldn't be in my top ten things to experience. :-8
Bob

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:18 pm

But, a bite on the bum by either wouldn't be in my top ten things to experience.
That is when you find out who your friend are... :shock:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rolawren » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:56 pm

No funnel web spiders here in Canberra. Well none of the Sydney ones anyway, that are poisonous. Then again they have an anti-venom for them these days, in case I was bitten.

Red-backs plenty, but have never been bitten by one.

:-

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Showcase