They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

St Michael Church

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

St Michael Church

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:58 am

Steve's cathedral video motivated me to explore one of our local treasures. In the nearby town of Kalida (kuh-LYE-duh), Ohio, this Roman Catholic church has served the community since 1878. The bell tower is a landmark that can be seen for miles across the flat farmland of northwest Ohio. Not only did I get exterior highlights but found that the building is open during the day, allowing me to also explore the interior. No drone shots for this landlubber, so I made do with my iPhone and gimbal.

Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: St Michael Church

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Those are some smooth moves, Dave! That must be some gimbal!

Excellent job also catching the interior in all its glory. Old churches can have some pretty challenging lighting -- dim interiors, bright sunlight, stained glass. I'm still working on getting bright church interiors with my cam.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:36 pm

Fr Dave will you hear my confession... :hyst:

Some really nice work. I enjoyed the still images mixed in. Although not a DSLR the iPhone does what it does extremely well. And to get the treat of going inside too is icing on the cake. Your pans are so smooth. Did you use a gimbal with a tripod too. Well do.

Steve you have indeed started a new trend.... cool

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Those are some smooth moves, Dave! That must be some gimbal!

Excellent job also catching the interior in all its glory. Old churches can have some pretty challenging lighting -- dim interiors, bright sunlight, stained glass. I'm still working on getting bright church interiors with my cam.

Appreciate the comments. I know what you mean about the lighting challenges, Steve. I did notice that in some shots the upper stained glass windows were over exposed where the sun was coming in, but of course the exposure for the rest of the area was about right. Any tricks you learn would be appreciated.

I’m very happy with the gimbal for pans, both horizontal and vertical. But it can’t do much about up and down jolts, which happens when I walk. I left that one walking shot in there because I liked the idea of it, but I try to avoid walking and shooting at the same time. Leave it for a younger person.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:05 pm

sidd finch wrote:Fr Dave will you hear my confession... :hyst:

Some really nice work. I enjoyed the still images mixed in. Although not a DSLR the iPhone does what it does extremely well. And to get the treat of going inside too is icing on the cake. Your pans are so smooth. Did you use a gimbal with a tripod too. Well do.

Steve you have indeed started a new trend.... cool

Hear your confession? First I’ve got a backlog of confessions of my own .

Thanks for the kind words. No tripod - those were all handheld shots. So far I’m happy with the job the Movi does for my videos. Nope, the iPhone isn’t a DSLR, but pretty good. Anxious to try out its 4K.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:40 am

Well nice work indeed. The Movi must be getting popular I recently saw a reporter using one on a newscast. Either way I enjoyed the video.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Showcase