They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Last March of the Sunflowers

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Last March of the Sunflowers

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:01 pm

Another short one. More weeds than sunflowers in this neglected field, and most are past their prime. The birds were still busy harvesting the seeds, but I wasn't lucky enough (quick enough) to catch on video.

Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Last March of the Sunflowers

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:26 pm

Dave, you're making me cry!

I remember one year when my daughter grew a sunflower. It was so exciting to watch it grow! When it was fully grown it was tall enough to look in our kitchen window! And then in wilted. And, man, talk about a metaphor for life...
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:05 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Dave, you're making me cry!

I remember one year when my daughter grew a sunflower. It was so exciting to watch it grow! When it was fully grown it was tall enough to look in our kitchen window! And then in wilted. And, man, talk about a metaphor for life...

It is sad to see them at this point in their life. I agree re the metaphor. One time about 30 years ago I grew a row of them behind the garage. Pretty cool. Thanks Steve.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Dave that gimbal sure makes life smooth. Seeing the sunflowers is natures heads up that the great summer is starting to wind down and become a distant memory. Love that you are posting this stuff.

Now for a metaphor.... I see Steve doing the voice over. ..... "In a world that seldom forgave and her since that fateful summer when Emma's life was destroyed it had been a difficult journey....." lol

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:40 pm

Great idea Sidd!

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:21 pm

Mr Steve what says you ? :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:06 am

Of course I'm willing to do it, if you'd like. Although the images do speak for themselves.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:35 am

Love it, Dave!

I've just watched your sunflowers, cascade and Simpson Park. All absolutely lovely. Please keep on enjoying your gimble! :yh:

Your Simpson Park has given me some good ideas. I really like the way the yellow - peachy daylilies led to the brilliant orange butterfly bush. I tend to avoid orange but see this as a good way to blend it in. I really liked the hosta section. I have lots of hostas in pots. A great plant. They are hard to kill. I need to get busy in my shady section and line paths with them.

But best of all..... that darling little yellow bird taking a bath! What FUN!
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Paz_Pazzaz wrote:Love it, Dave!

I've just watched your sunflowers, cascade and Simpson Park. All absolutely lovely. Please keep on enjoying your gimble! :yh:

Your Simpson Park has given me some good ideas. I really like the way the yellow - peachy daylilies led to the brilliant orange butterfly bush. I tend to avoid orange but see this as a good way to blend it in. I really liked the hosta section. I have lots of hostas in pots. A great plant. They are hard to kill. I need to get busy in my shady section and line paths with them.

But best of all..... that darling little yellow bird taking a bath! What FUN!

Thanks so much, Paz! The cascades video was a series of errors, including recording in 720p, and it's not what I wanted. I'm going to redo that one one of these days when we get down that way again. I am enjoying the gimbal, and discovering its strengths and weaknesses (and my own). I'm using these day trips to try to be prepared for a much larger project that's upcoming. Will share that one at a future date.

Oh, yeah...the yellow-peachy daylilies leading to the brilliant orange butterfly bush. I was hoping you'd notice. That was on purpose, so far as you know :hyst: .
And I didn't know what a hosta was until you named it :) , nor most of the other stuff, but they're fun to look at and smell (the flowers, not the hostas), so long as you give the bees first priority.

The bird was an accident. He was pretty far away and I was having trouble even seeing him on my phone screen in the bright daylight. In the edit I had to do some pretty heavy digital zoom, so I'm aware that it's not very good quality, but I thought he was worth leaving in and giving a little special treatment.

I appreciate your comments and feedback. It's all good.

Dave McElderry

Postby ed » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:48 pm

The sound track sets the mood =D>

The DNR plants acres of sunflowers near my house for dove hunters. I go and take photos every year. These are from two weeks ago.

2020_707x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:58 am

I like that second shot Ed.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:37 am

ed wrote:The sound track sets the mood =D>

The DNR plants acres of sunflowers near my house for dove hunters. I go and take photos every year. These are from two weeks ago.

Couldn't agree more Ed. The music is always a critical part of any video, professional, or enthusiast. We watched Field of Dreams the other night (for the umpteenth time :) ) and I was noticing how great both the original music was, and the choice of 70s music that was used. Really added to the film.

I love your sunflower shots! It's a little jarring to see something as colorful as a sunflower in B&W, but that medium has a special beauty of its own. Ansel Adams-esque. I agree with Sidd - the second one is my favorite. Makes me wish I had taken some video from behind. Thinking outside of the box. :TU:

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:33 pm

The music is always a critical part of any video, professional, or enthusiast.

+1

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:37 pm

Love the sunflower video Dave. Music perfect fit. I think they are beautiful when they are wilting. A conservation area plants several fields at the river bottoms. We went last month and it was breathtaking.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:57 pm

momoffduty wrote:Love the sunflower video Dave. Music perfect fit. I think they are beautiful when they are wilting. A conservation area plants several fields at the river bottoms. We went last month and it was breathtaking.

Thanks Cheryl! I agree that they still have a special beauty even now, but I wish I’d been there 6 weeks ago.

Dave McElderry

Next

Return to Showcase