They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Twas the Night Before Denning

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Twas the Night Before Denning

Postby videovillageidiot » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:51 pm

Some of you may know that last year I discovered the explore.org/bears webcams in Katmai National Park in Alaska. Those luscious brown bears grabbing salmon in their mouth is just part of the story up there. The cams allow viewers an insight into the lives of these great bears...all aspects...eating, sleeping, playing, fighting, raising cubs, even the death of a beautiful cub was viewed. I know that last one sounds gruesome and, believe me, it's still hard to think about, but in the course of the 2 day ordeal following the little bear's collapse, bearcam viewers around the world saw the incredible vigil kept by the mother and sibling. I will never forget that experience and to know that it was shared by so many others is amazing to me.

Fast forward to this summer, when the salmon run brings the bears and their newborns back to Brooks Falls. One of the bears (128 Grazer) returned with her first litter of cubs - a feisty trio of very dissimilar sizes. They were given a variety of names by cam viewers. Note: park staff give independent bears a number and only occasionally a nickname. Cam viewers disregard that protocol freely. :) Besides, cubs aren't given numbers until they become emancipated subadults, so nicknames help to distinguish them when discussed in the chat. And believe me, this trio was very frequently the topic of conversation!!! Especially when they went over the falls one night as their horrified mother looked on, helpless!!! Video of that event was on the news around the world and made quite a sensation on the internet!

With that as the backstory, I bring you, "Twas the Night Before Denning" - 128 Grazer's efforts to get Peanut, Walnut, and Butternut up Dumpling Mountain and into the den. I realize there's a lot of "inside" stuff going on here, but I think you'll get most of it. Besides, there's a great narrator!!! THANKS STEVE!! I used footage captured from the webcams using Bandicam software and the photos of some very generous photographers who have been fortunate enough to actually visit Katmai in person! I hope you enjoy it!

videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Twas the Night Before Denning

Postby momoffduty » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Wow Sherrin! Great job on the edit. It must have taken a long time to gather the footage & photos and assemble into a cohesive presentation. Wonderful job too Steve on the narration. ::CLAP: ::CLAP: Is there a group of bear web cam watchers? How does the community work?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby videovillageidiot » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:39 pm

momoffduty wrote:Wow Sherrin! Great job on the edit. It must have taken a long time to gather the footage & photos and assemble into a cohesive presentation. Wonderful job too Steve on the narration. ::CLAP: ::CLAP: Is there a group of bear web cam watchers? How does the community work?

Thank you!!! It did take a long time...part of the problem was sorting thru the many photos that were offered for use in this project. I think I found the best ones to convey the story - I was very fortunate! By far, writing the story took next to no time...I never planned to write it, it just jumped out of my brain and demanded to be told!

Yep, score another bravo for Steve, right? :tup:

The bear cam is found here... www.explore.org/bears There are a number of cameras located in the Brooks Falls area. This time of year the cams are only showing highlights, as the bears (those not bunking at "Velcro's Place") are in their dens, fast asleep. Grazer and her trio are prominently featured in this year's highlights - which was good for me, as I didn't have Bandicam to capture the footage when it actually happened earlier in the summer.

The chat board (located on the cam page...scroll below the explore cam thumbnails) is full of amazing people - some maintain very close friendships outside the chat and do frequent Skype visits. They are so supportive through personal illnesses and other woes. That avatar collage at the end of the video represents folks who frequent the chat - many more people watch the cams but don't participate in the chat. When I timidly mentioned my project and requested the use of photos I was shocked at the very warm response - especially since I had only very recently begun to chat and had built no relationships yet.

I guess I go on about explore but I really can't help it. It is an amazing experience to view these beautiful bears. People laugh that these animals are "celebrities" and they'll never know it - they're just bears being bears. It is truly an educational and emotional experience - and the beautiful Alaskan scenery can't be beat either!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:22 pm

Great work, Sherrin! Thanks for inviting me to be a part of this project!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Wow that was really nice. Well thought out and nicely put together. Great job as always Steve.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Great work, Sherrin! Thanks for inviting me to be a part of this project!

Thanks Steve - and thank YOU for being the voice!

And thanks to Muvipix for always being my "go to" place - I did of LOT of track mattes in this and without the super help from you all I could never have mastered that! Oh, wait...did I say master track mattes? Not sure I'll ever quite master them...uh-oh.

'Til my next project Steve... :-D
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:41 pm

sidd finch wrote:Wow that was really nice. Well thought out and nicely put together. Great job as always Steve.

Sidd

Oh Sidd - thanks! I love these bears - I know they are wild and certainly not pets, but the cams let you see them as individuals and I really appreciate the wonderful creations that they are. Like Steve always says, "There are stories to tell" and the story of those 3 little cuties was a joy to write.

I'm glad you like it.

Steve did a great job, didn't he? BTW, Now that my project is done, Steve is free - isn't it time for another collaboration between the two of you? ;)
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:03 am

without the super help from you all I could never have mastered that!

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Showcase