They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Mexico - chill out video

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Mexico - chill out video

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:53 am

This may be TMI or TLDR, but a little back story on my Mexico trips.

About 15 years ago I had an illness which I did recover, but the residual was intense anxiety. For a while there I was afraid to leave the house. Going outside on the porch was difficult. It took a while to regain my strength and venture out more driving. Me not driving was not an option with 2 kids and elderly parents. Long story.

We took a car trip vacation not too far from home and it was a big challenge. A few years went by and I decided I wasn’t going to live limited anymore. Mr. Mom & kids were shocked when I suggested a trip to Mexico for our 25th anniversary. As they were boarding the plane, I was in the restroom dry heaving. Mr. Mom and I were the last ones to board. I wanted to bail, but our kids were on the plane. I decided I would go even if it killed me. That week was not all smooth sailing, but I did have some good times. I spent one day in the hotel room reading and almost bailed on an outing. They were loading the ferry and my girls were excited to swim with the dolphins. I was sick waiting to board and Mr. Mom said we didn’t have to go on the tour. But, I didn’t want to disappoint the girls and didn’t want to limit myself.

There were some years we didn’t go on Mexico trips. Both Moms aging, etc. My mother passed 2 years ago after a long illness and one day as I was sitting with her while she slept, I realized we are all going to be in that situation one day. I asked myself what regrets will I have if I don’t step out of my box. I think that is why I signed us up for the zip lining and canoeing.

When I first joined Muvipix it was difficult to ask questions. My daughter had created an account for me since at the time I was computer illiterate and the fear factor. After a short while I realized everyone here didn’t bite and was helpful. Everyone here was more than patient with me. I have all of you to thank for my video hobby.

My volunteer group at the Uni asked me to take photos at their events. I walk around and chat with people, etc. When I have a camera in my hand I can do things that I normally could not do. Like going on excursions or chatting with strangers. It is still difficult, but not like it was 10 years ago. So again I have all of you to thank for my hobby.

A quote I like:
“A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.”

Last edited by Ron on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mexico -- typo :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Mexio - chill out video

Postby ed » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:35 am

Love your story and your videos Mom. I have a step-daughter with severe anxiety that struggles in the "real" world. It's great that you've been able to rise above.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:43 am

What a great story. Good for you Cheryl! The location is gorgeous and you did a great job of capturing it. :TU:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Gerlinde » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:45 am

Beautiful video Cheryl!
I'm glad you found your way back into living again. Thanks for sharing your story. I can only imagine how difficult this was for you. Being a mom of two little girls and not being able to function must be devastating.
But it seems you came out of this experience stronger than ever before. It is so important to find a way to distract you from yourself. You are so creative and you were able to express your creativity and share it with others. Thanks for jumping over your own shadow.

What is that thing at 00:36? It looks very interesting.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story of overcoming adversity. I have no doubt your journey has been difficult but you didn't just surrender, you fought to get your life back and you succeeded. And all of the people in your life have been positively impacted as a result. Seems to me that you have been a perfect role model for your children.

I had no idea the Mexican beaches were so beautiful! Maybe someday...
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:39 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. It was hard at first with the inside shakes & had depersonalization. Life appeared as a card board cut out. I was given a lot of meds and weaned off gradually. My husband went to a few CBT sessions with me and he gained insight which helped. I rarely have panic attacks now. My triggers are lack of sleep and crowds or over-heated. I have a med and take 1/4 of a pill on occasion. My doctor kids me and says that small amount is like a placebo effect.

My husband had his one and only panic attack last year. We were in Playa del Carmen for the evening and taking the shuttle back to the hotel. They had us crammed into the van like sardines and the A/C wasn't on. The door was open, but hot and no air flow. My husband had to bail out. He was surprised it didn't bother me, but it did. I was using my breathing techniques and thinking on the video I shot that evening. It helps to tell yourself that this too shall pass.

ed, I hope your step-daughter gets the help she needs. At one time I thought I would never be normal again. I still have some limitations, but not nearly as much as I did 10 or 15 years ago.

Gerlinde, you said it best to find away to distract you from you. I've always been a go-getter achiever type personality and then hit the bell curve. I do overthink things way too much.

Ron & Dave, thanks too for your kind words. Mexico is beautiful and awaiting you!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Wonderful story and beautiful video. :-D

It's hard to imagine that you were computer illiterate.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Peru wrote:
It's hard to imagine that you were computer illiterate.

Not illiterate anymore thanks to you and others for answering my pesky 101 questions. :-8 My knowledge is like swiss cheese so there will be more questions in your future. I don't think anonymous will recruit me. :-8
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:56 pm

Gerlinde wrote:
What is that thing at 00:36? It looks very interesting.

It is one of many sculptures at Punta Sur park. Beautiful place.
http://www.garrafon.com/activities-punta-sur-cliff/
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:13 pm

MOM what a heart warming story. That is pretty awesome to share... I am sending you a virtual hug. :) Be strong Sister.....

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Mexico - chill out video

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:44 pm

Awww thanks for the hug Sidd!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:19 am

I can't really add anything to the words that others have written other than to say what an inspirational story. It has been my pleasure to know you albeit through the medium of Muvipix and through the email exchanges that we have shared.

If you ever you and Mr Mom decide to forgo a trip to Mexico and travel to Europe instead, then you know that you will be most welcome to make a video of "feet on the beach" here on Sicily. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks for the offer John! You live in paradise and that is tempting. :) I'll be sure to send you more photos of the grand puppy Husky. Well, he isn't so little anymore.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Awesome story and a wonderful video too. Loved the time lapse and the feet \:D/

I am so happy that you found us and that we have had the pleasure of sharing so much with you :)

It's amazing what faith and a camera will do for us 8-[
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:48 pm

I really liked how you kept coming back to that blue water. I think that made the video really cool. I also liked some of your transitions. It had the feeling of blinking of an eye then looking at something else. The music gave it a nice chill out effect. Once again Very Well done.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Next

Return to Showcase