They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Blue Ridge Parkway with autumn colors

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Blue Ridge Parkway with autumn colors

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:45 pm

I recently took two of my kids to the Blue Ridge Parkway to see the fall colors. We started at Mt. Mitchell, the highest mountain in NC, and worked our way north to Blowing Rock along the parkway. The colors were beautiful! My kids took photos but I concentrated on video. I used a combination of tripod, monopod, and gimbal stabilizer for my shots. The video was recorded in 4k on my GH4, and edited on a 1080p timeline in FCPX.

And I think I correctly handled the CC license and attribution... ;)

Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/kVvXKw_3nNo
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway with autumn colors

Postby Peru » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:51 am

That must have been wonderful day. Our leaves are all on the ground now.

A couple of observations:

Were the two jumps in the photo of you and your boys near the beginning intentional?

I find that when panning and zooming and using transitions between stills it usually looks smoother if you start and end the movement before and after the transitions so that the stills never look "still." In other words: starting keyframes before the transition, ending keyframes after the transition. The photos of your boys near the end seem to have been done this way, but the earlier stills were not. That's just my personal preference, of course.

It was beautiful, but the middle of it with all of the panning video could have been broken up a bit more with stills. Again, just my preference.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:55 am

I absolutely love the fall colors. We do not get much of them here.

all of the panning video could have been broken up a bit more with stills

I know what you meant Peru but I did not mind it as I was enjoying the huge vista's of color. As the camera was panning I was anticipating what would be next. Well done Ron.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:13 am

Thanks Sidd! Peru, that jump was NOT intentional and I don't know why it happened. I used the "insert default transition" command in FCPX as I've done many other times. I don't know why that happened.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gerlinde » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:38 am

Nicely done Ron. I enjoyed you video. I liked the driving video in between the scenery shots, nice touch.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:15 pm

Ah, yes, fall colors on the BRP. We did a fall color BRP ride a few years back and it was sensational. You sure did bring back memories, Ron. I saw a little footage of the new structures at Mt. Mitchell. Haven't seen those yet. Thanks for posting this. Did my heart good. :) :TU:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Ron,

Thanks for taking me along on your family trip. And even though it really isn't any of my business - thank you for taking your kids on a family trip - I'm sure they'll always remember these times when they grow up. These are the kind of 'childhood' (I know they're not children!) memories everyone should have!

Beautiful colors, I too enjoyed the driving aspect interspersed among the rest. I do think the very wide pan might be prettier if it went a little more slowly.

I had some black lines rolling up the screen. I think 'rolling shutter' means verticals that get wiggled from side to side. If so, I don't know what to call them. A little distracting - but possibly something that happened only when I watched, since no one else mentioned it.

Anyway, nice trip. We still have lots of leaves. Green everywhere. This may turn out to be an autumn without color for us. We have to have rain followed by a cold snap to get good color and rain has been scarce lately - except Hurricane Patricia is bringing some for the time being. If we get cold temps we still have a chance.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:58 am

Patrice, I don't have an explanation for the rolling black lines. I don't see them on my laptop or in the YT video, but I'll go back and look again. As for colors, I think the higher elevations change first so perhaps your leaves will change soon.

The driving shots didn't work out exactly like I wanted, but what ever does? I had my son hold the Pilotfly for the driving shots, and the focus was incorrectly set on the dashboard for most of them. Not his fault on the focus though, it was mine.

I agree that family trips are important, and thank you for making that point. I love looking at videos from trips in the past and seeing how everyone was back then. And yes, I want my kids to have these memories and to do the same with their kids.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Ron,

I've watched twice again and did not get the black lines either time. Perhaps the first time my computer - internet connection were struggling to keep up.

The rain stopped this afternoon and it turned chilly. I'll keep on holding out for color - but my neighbor's orchards of pecan trees are already bare. They are hallmarks around here. Last to get leaves in spring, first to lose them in autumn. The hickories, sweet gums and dogwoods usually give us the best color. Sometimes sycamores too. We'll see if we get lucky. Again, thanks for sharing your fall color with us!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:09 pm

It's cold and rainy here, so I had to watch your video again to brighten up my day. :)
Peru

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Thank you, you both just made me smile!
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:32 pm

I had my son hold the Pilotfly for the driving shots, and the focus was incorrectly set on the dashboard

The Pilotfly worked really well nice and smooth. I think brushless gimbals are going to be the future of handheld shots. I have found that trying to record video from inside the car is extremely difficult. Not only from trying to get the framing done correctly, but the glare of the windshield and any accumulated dirt that has made its home on the glass.

Overall a very nice video. The colors are well worth any issues with focus. I thought that you intended to make the dash the focal point and I think it worked for the video.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Very vibrant colors captured Ron! The driving shots looked smooth and loved the drive thru the tunnel. :TU:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Showcase