They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Grandfather Mountain

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Re: Grandfather Mountain

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I certainly don't want to violate any copyrights or "rip anyone off". I incorrectly thought that when Jamendo said "you can download for personal use, but must pay for commercial use", I was in the clear because I'm not making any money off of my videos. And since I always credit the artist and source, I thought I was covered from a legal standpoint. I never bothered to dig through the different licensing terms.

Audio Blox is a good idea, thanks for the tip. I have used the Vimeo Music Store before and may use them again moving forward.

Even for personal use like we do here, music is such an important part of the video that I am willing to pay for it. And in the artist's defense, I would not be happy if someone ripped off my "work", as it were.

I'll contact the artist behind this track and ask for permission.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Grandfather Mountain

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:29 am

Thanks to Bob for posting the links to the different CC licenses. I looked through the material but could not find any
human readable" text that definitely addressed whether or not using unmodified audio as a video soundtrack was a "derivative work". On the one hand I can see that "using" the audio with ANYTHING could be interpreted as "derivative", but I didn't modify the audio so I thought I was in the clear.

At any rate, I contacted the composer and explained the situation. He told me I was NOT in the clear and said his audio was not to be used with any video, even non-commercial video. He said he normally charges $99 for a license but would allow me to purchase a license to his track for $20. Yes, that is a good discount from $99, but I cannot justify that for a personal video. I'll just pull them down from Vimeo and will search elsewhere for music next time.

Thanks again to Bob and Cheryl for raising my sensitivity level to CC licenses.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Showcase