They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

NC Transportation Museum

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

NC Transportation Museum

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:46 pm

While taking pictures for the "Where you live in 1 minute" contest I took a lot of pictures at the NC Transportation Museum. I didn't need most of those pictures for the video so I used them in a dedicated video of just the museum.

Lots of train pictures in here as that is most of what is at the museum. Thomas the Tank Engine comes occasionally but I missed him. :-D

Believe it or not, the photos were imported into the FCPX project as 18Mpixel RAW files with no resizing or retouching. I only thought about that after exporting to Vimeo. That fact is pretty impressive to me.

Anyway, here is the video. It's less than 3minutes so hopefully you'll watch it. :TU:

Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: NC Transportation Museum

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:01 pm

I would not have expected a museum to have such a variety of vehicles. Nice job showcasing it, Ron!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Ever been to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Ron? I have a feeling that you'd really enjoy it. Funny about the trains...I was just this morning checking out the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad website to see what they had left in leaf peeping season. We did this a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting this together. Enjoyed it! :TU:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:05 am

That must be quite a large place to hold all of those trains.
They've done a very nice job restoring those items.

We've got a small transportation museum about 8 miles north of here, but sadly we haven't yet been there for a visit. I guess we sometimes take local sights for granted. After living in NYC for the first 17 years of my life, I didn't visit the Statue of Liberty until after I moved away.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:35 pm

It is really nice to see all those trains restored so nicely. They look like they are huge engines.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Yes, they are HUGE. And they really do look amazing. Many trains are in that "roundhouse".
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Ron Hunter wrote:
Believe it or not, the photos were imported into the FCPX project as 18Mpixel RAW files with no resizing or retouching. I only thought about that after exporting to Vimeo. That fact is pretty impressive to me.

I am surprised FCPX didn't choke on the Raw files. So no contrast or processing? Usually Raw files look flatter since the camera doesn't sharpen or add a curve like a Jpeg is processed. I think you mentioned you use Lightroom. I use ACR and can save a preset for the first photo and batch the rest. Can Lightroom save presets?

I enjoyed seeing the old cars. Trains are cool too. We visited a museum out in the sticks of Northern IN or OH and remember seeing Dusseldorf cars. They don't make cars with that kind of style anymore.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:50 pm

I was also surprised that FCPX didn't choke on the raw image files (5184 x 3456). I didn't even realize they were still in raw mode until the export to Vimeo was almost done. I'm not sure, but it may be that FCPX used "optimized media" for the editing and then used the actual files for the rendering/export.

And no, I did no processing in Lightroom prior to editing in FCPX. (Yes, LR can save presets.) I imported the photos with iPhoto, then pulled them into FCPX and assembled them on the timeline.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Showcase