They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

REPTICON, first Final Cut Pro X project!!

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

REPTICON, first Final Cut Pro X project!!

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri May 02, 2014 11:51 am

I recently watched a video with Dave Dugdale and Chris Fenwick that made me think video editing on a Mac laptop was possible. This inspired me to purchase a refurbished retina Macbook Pro with 8GB of memory and 256GB SSD. I loaded the trial version of Final Cut Pro X (FCPX), loaded some footage from a recent reptile show, and tried to edit with this new program. I am pleased to say I have completed my first FCPX project and the Vimeo link is below.

I have used PCs exclusively since 1992 and have only used variants of Premiere since I started my editing hobby in 1999 (started with Premiere 5). I have read for years that editing on a laptop is a bad idea, that a "liquid-cooled i700" with 70" display is the only way to make a movie. Well, I decided to try something new. This is the first time I have used something other than Premiere to make a movie, it is the first time I've edited a movie on a laptop, and it is the first time I have really tried to use a Mac computer!

The rMBP has been a dream to work on. Very light machine with very long battery life. Machine is super responsive. Interaction with the machine is VERY intuitive, which isn't surprising given my experience with iPod/iPad/iPhone. Once I learned a few FCPX keyboard shortcuts I simply figured out the rest by "playing with it". I used this trial version of FCPX to make a short (<3min) video of a recent reptile show I attended with my kids. (Remember my son and his pet corn snake? That's why.)

What do I think of FCPX compared to Premiere Elements? That is an apples-to-oranges comparison (pro vs consumer) but I REALLY like FCPX. It is different than PreEl but it is certainly "do-able". I plan to buy FCPX and keep editing with it. Now I don't have to participate in Adobe's Creative Cloud and I can edit anywhere!

Oh yeah, here is the movie... ;) This is a simple video, no color correction or anything fancy because I haven't taken the time to learn that stuff yet. Part of the fun in attending this reptile show was watching the interesting people that were milling around...
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: REPTICON, first Final Cut Pro X project!!

Postby Shrimpfarmer » Sat May 03, 2014 4:11 am

Hi Ron

I really enjoyed your video. What an interesting show to visit. I am pleased to hear you are enjoying your Macbook Pro and FCPX. I was the same as you, had countless PC rigs before finally getting fed up with them and taking the Mac plunge. I have been a firm fan ever since and I do all my editing on a laptop now.

FCPX is really easy to use and I am learning more and more about it each day. Its very stable and forgiving.
Shrimpfarmer
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat May 03, 2014 4:46 am

Very well done Ron! I don't think I'd sleep for a week after spending a day there, though. :)
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat May 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks guys! And Ken, you are one of the people who inspired me to try a Mac laptop for editing. When I saw your quadcopter videos and learned you made them using FCPX and a Mac laptop, I thought "What am I waiting for?" :-5

And the reptile show was VERY interesting. Even if you aren't in the market for buying any reptiles, it is fun just walking around and looking at all of the interesting creatures on display. The animals are neat too. :-D
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun May 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Ron Hunter wrote: it is fun just walking around and looking at all of the interesting creatures on display. The animals are neat too.

:CS:
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Tue May 06, 2014 8:30 pm

So you have gone to the 'other' side with a Mac??? Just kidding, glad it is working out for you. Please bring back Joey the Boxer! The snake videos give me nightmares. :ha:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Showcase