They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

First time lapse video, feedback requested

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

First time lapse video, feedback requested

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:42 pm

I have been itching to try a time lapse video, so I stuck my T4i in a corner and shot pictures of supper at my in-laws this weekend. The camera ran for about 1.5 hrs and I ended up with over 2100 images. The finished video is 1min 34sec. This is my first time lapse and I would like to receive feedback on how to do better next time.

Here are the technical details:
- intervalometer caused one exposure every 3 seconds
- large JPEG format
- manual exposure/focus, f/3.5 1/60sec, auto ISO (1250 selected by camera)
- image stabilization off (tripod was used)
- tungsten WB.

I used PSE12 to batch resize the images to 1920 pixels wide and perform auto contrast/levels/color. That actually went by quickly. I then used a DSLR 1080p 24 preset in PRE12 to create a slideshow of those images, one image per frame. (I wanted to try 24fps.) That was an interesting experience; PRE12 used over 13GB of RAM during that rendering process! I exported the slideshow as "HDTV 1080p 24 High Quality", then imported that clip back into another PRE12 project and added titles and soundtrack. Finished video is here:

It just occurred to me that I wanted the video to be 24fps but Vimeo encoding forces 29.97fps. Hmmm... Cheryl you were right, there are so many things to remember when setting up a time lapse and I'm sure I forgot something. I think this first project turned out well but I'm always interested in improving.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: First time lapse video, feedback requested

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 am

Ron,
honest,
I consider it a great pic because of your clever choice of the point of view (shoot :-) ):

- it makes great actors; the gentleman with the green shirt who turns his head left and right (of course he must, in front of the tv with people passing by) and the lady on the sofa on the right with the ligh blue hair fixing her hair;
- one of the images I love more is the black and white chess-like floor that runs deep in perspective;
- the whole is very dynamic and the rythm is (according to me) perfect;
- it gives a lot of fun but not for laughing and everyone is nice.

I don't even know how it might be improved, it is a good pic that worths.

I would just like to add that cameras like ours (I have a T3i) are supposed to have a life of 100.000 shots because of the shutter's work, so sometimes I prefer to use my handycam (Panasonic Hdc-sd40) for experimenting landscapes (with a 16gb card I can rely on a 1h 20' performance, nearly the battery's operating time).
Of course I like better a shot a minute for people's movements :-) .

Sharing and comparing is a great opportunity and a joy for me, so I would be very glad to know from you about my visions:
https://vimeo.com/francescocarzedda

My compliments, Francesco
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:36 am

Ron, I truly love this! I love everything about it, from the position of the camera to the music. What fun!

The timing is perfect, the lighting is perfect and even the random entrances and exits by the dog are perfect!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 am

Ron this was cool. It is amazing how much everyone moves around. I liked that you sat is approximately the same place while everything moved around you. And to me the green color of your shirt stood out enough that It felt like a good reference point.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:42 am

Super cool fun!!!! I liked the perspective of the camera. It looked like just the right height. I also liked the checkerboard floor. Grandma & Joey the Boxer moved around the most and added a lot of interest. When I have the gang over I feel like I am moving around at warp speed too. :lol:

Yes, lots of steps to think about when setting up timelapse. That is why I typed up a cheat sheet. :-D

Thanks for posting your settings. Your camera did a great job at 1250 ISO. Did you use a denoiser in post? I try not to go over 800 with the T4i because of noise.

Great job! ::CLAP:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:13 am

Completely agree with everyone else, this is great ! I've got to get a DSLR now ...
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby IndyMike » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:23 am

Well done Ron. Like everyone said camera was place at a good position. I have never try doing one with stills. I have shot video for a long time and them speed up the video. I will have to try stills one day.
i7860 8 GB of ram 1TB OS drive, 1TB storage drive and 2 USB back up drives. Canon Camera's Canon VIXIA HF G10 and Canon 70D
IndyMike

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:17 am

Wow, thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate the warm comments!

I wanted to capture that event because even though "supper at Mamaw's" is almost a weekly thing for our family, I know things change and it won't happen forever. One of these days we will look back on that video and smile.

While watching the video I noticed some slight flickering. I think that is because I forgot to put the ISO on manual; I suspect the camera autonomously changed the ISO throughout the sequence. The command dial was set to "M" but I forgot to take ISO off auto.

The time lapse tuts I've watched stressed the "continuity of motion" effect so I didn't know how the shutter speed (1/60) would turn out. Ideally I would have slowed the shutter a bit and stopped down the aperture to get a little more depth of field, but I'm just being picky.

Next I'd like to "time lapse" my workplace and maybe try some clouds.

Thanks again for the wonderful feedback! :exc:
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:19 am

Couple more points...Sidd I wish I could say I planned to sit in one spot and let the action happen around me. Truth is, I just wanted to watch the football game!

Cheryl, I did no noise reduction in post.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Jayell » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:25 pm

This was great, Ron!
Sometimes when I'm watching these, I wish they'd freeze every 30 seconds or so, so my brain could catch up with the action.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:32 am

I think it is the rightest pace, but, if I were you, I won't throw away the raw (the single shots) and I would experiment a slower rythm too.
It may be more fun :-) !
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51 am

It would be a lot of work but how cool would it be if you went and made someone black and whit through the whole sequence.....(just a cool idea....:))

SIdd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:49 pm

For all of us who have wished we were part of a large family, this is proof...Great Fun! The music is perfect.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 pm

What can I add? I agree with everything everyone has already said! I love how much everyone moved - and so naturally - as if they weren't on camera. It actually looked like it was elaborately chorepgraphed and these were professionals! The dog was so much fun to watch. The first time I watched it I had a very bad headache and the constant movement made it hurt...but I couldn't stop watching! Loved it that much!

Looking forward to more!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Gerlinde » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:46 am

Ron, you did a great job setting up the shots. The music fits perfectly too. I found it a bit difficult though, to keep an eye on all the action going on. I thought for a while there are 2 dogs running around. This is a cool effect on the other hand, the same dog in 2 places at once. The dog is definitely the star of the movie.
I can only imagine how much work went into this video. Great job! :tup: Also, an excellent idea for a movie about your family. Make more.....
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Next

Return to Showcase