They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Fall Slices - trip-hop (again)

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Re: Fall Slices - trip-hop (again)

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Very nice Cheryl!!…can’t believe I haven’t gotten around to commenting on this before…I just get lost in all the questions and comments I want to include and then I get distracted…here goes…

Was this mostly done in AE? It seems that much could be accomplished in PRE, but maybe I’m overlooking something. Is it just easier to do in AE? You mentioned something about keyframing more than 1 thing at a time? Do you mean you are able to manipulate multiple clips as if they were one? So, like, at the beginning with multiple clips displayed simultaneously, in AE could you, for example, rotate them all or rescale them or move them left or right in one step rather than handling each clip on its own? (Hope that question makes sense!)

I love how you present so many images in the opening. Bringing the parts together looks really nice, especially using overlapping shapes. Sooooo good.

momoffduty wrote:Shooting blind because outside I can't see the screen, may get a loupe sometime.

I purchased a Hoodman loupe at my local camera shop...(see image below)...the cheaper version (which I bought) doesn’t have a way to attach it to the camera, so I just use large rubber bands. I used it to see my HF R400 camcorder screen, though the camera store guy was skeptical, as it is designed more for an SLR. Of course, with the loupe attached, I can’t perform any functions that require accessing the touchscreen. There is a slightly more expensive version that, among other features which I don’t remember, collapses to fit in your bag…kinda’ wish I had that one. (Maybe procrastinating on my response is to your advantage, Cheryl...I wanted to post a link to the loupe and found it today for $15 cheaper at B & H!!!...here's the link...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=573167&is=REG&Q=&A=details)

momoffduty wrote:The horizon wasn't too level because it was biting cold that day so quickly the best I could set up and then sat in the car during the time lapse. I have since bought some gloves with no fingers and a flap that goes over.

Funny about the problems of shooting in the cold. I pulled my wool “glittens” out of the suitcase our first day in Iceland and wore them pretty much every time I stepped out of the car. The flap got in the way of the camcorder strap and made reaching the zoom control difficult, so some zooms were not very smooth. The glittens made a cameo appearance in the bottom of a few scenes in my “Blown Away in Iceland” video because I supported the camera with my left hand and some of the fuzzy fibers blew in front of the lens.

One last thing...what is trip-hop?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks for the Loupe link. Pretty ingenious how you have yours rubber banded to the cam. What tripod are you using to support the slider? Another thing on my wish list. My cheap tripod wobbles and the slider sags when the cam moves to the ends.

Trip-hop is genre of music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:21 pm

videovillageidiot wrote:
Was this mostly done in AE? It seems that much could be accomplished in PRE, but maybe I’m overlooking something. Is it just easier to do in AE? You mentioned something about keyframing more than 1 thing at a time? Do you mean you are able to manipulate multiple clips as if they were one? So, like, at the beginning with multiple clips displayed simultaneously, in AE could you, for example, rotate them all or rescale them or move them left or right in one step rather than handling each clip on its own? (Hope that question makes sense!)

All done in AE. The intro had several layers that I keyframed each one floating into place. And yes you can select all the layers at once and scrub the scale down. You can also type in a value to one and the other ones selected will change. This works the same on opacity, position, rotation, etc. To go to the next scene I moved the camera through the field in Z space instead of keyframing the individual layers. The sliding bands you could do in PrEl with track mattes. In AE I animated masks. Track mattes are finicky in PrEl and in PrPro. I find that masks are easier to animate in AE.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby tjodork » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Love your work! Applause Applause Applause !!
I agree you could teach this !!
Tim
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:49 pm

momoffduty wrote:What tripod are you using to support the slider? Another thing on my wish list. My cheap tripod wobbles and the slider sags when the cam moves to the ends.

Cheryl, this is the tripod I bought at Best Buy in 2010… http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sunpak-pro-523px-64-tripod/9448323.p?id=1218106122301&skuId=9448323 I don’t think it’s still available in stores but can apparently be purchased online and shipped to the store. I paid a little less because it was on sale at the time…

here is the breakdown (literally, haha)…
Photo 1 is the tripod in its standard config, though from the photo you can’t see the center column. The legs extend via “Flip Lock Leg Locks”, and the legs can be extended independent of the others so you can accommodate uneven terrain. The tripod is constructed of carbon fiber to keep it light and I like the spongy covers on the legs – comfy to carry and not cold to the touch. Note: the little plastic bags are my “brilliant idea”…haha…they do come in handy when the tripod has been used in the mud…use them after the tips get dirty (so you can transport it without getting your car dirty, for example) or put them on before you stand it up in the mud and discard them when you’re done. I find them in the craft department at Wal-Mart). Sorry, but the bags are covering the “Rubber Feet with Retractable Leg Spikes”. The tripod comes with a pistol grip and a quick release plate.
tripod standard config.jpg

Photo 2 shows the long center column, along with a hook for hanging something heavy to help stabilize the tripod (I’ve never used the hook).
tripod long center column with hook.jpg

Photo 3 shows the “Leg angle adjustment latches” that allow you to spread the legs very wide to get the tripod really low. The “Center Column Lock Knob” in this photo is used to loosen the long center column so you can insert the short column you will need when the tripod is in this position. The stabilizing hook can be used on the short column as well. I’ve never needed the tripod this low and it does take a lot of room to spread the tripod…but I guess if you wanna’ lay on the ground to see thru the viewfinder, you can do that with this tripod. :)
tripod spider legs and short center column.jpg

Photo 4 shows the “Center Column Plate” with its reversible threaded screw (1/4 and 3/8) Use this to connect the pistol grip to the center column with the 3/8” end of the screw. If you just want to attach your camera to the tripod without the pistol grip, use the 1/4 “ end. I have a Manfrotto 494 ball head and it uses the 3/8” screw so this reversible screw is handy.
tripod connector.jpg

That brings us to picture 5...
tripod how to connect pistol grip to slider.jpg
Here’s the bottom of the pistol grip and the disk on the indislider…The slider has a ¼” screw, so if you happen to want to attach the pistol grip instead of just the camera, use the adapter screw that came with the slider to change it to a 3/8” screw. To attach the slider to the tripod, you need to use the ¼” end of the screw. Note: the pictured screw adapter is not the one that came with my slider; I purchased some additional adapters at the camera store to have on hand, since it would be easy to lose one!

I hope I’ve covered everything. There is also a pan/tilt head you can purchase separately from Sunpak (their website is tocad.com). And here’s a 2009 review from cnet… http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10406974-1.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks for the photos and the details! I am surprised that you don't have any wobble with the slider on the tripod. My slider has the pistol grip and weighs in at 7 lbs. Add on the weight of a camcorder or the T4i w/lens would require a heavier tripod. With the slider alone I get the wobble. I've been searching for a sturdy one and looking at used tripods too.

Thanks again for the details and your setup. :-D
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 pm

tjodork wrote:Love your work! Applause Applause Applause !!
I agree you could teach this !!
Tim

Thanks Tim! :oops:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:38 pm

>>HDMI connection

Okay, I"m going to see if I can put something together for you.

Mom,

I wrote that promise to you a while back. Thought you might like to see how my field monitor works on the Canon 7D in Live View mode. Unfortunately, I did not also set the 7D to record, so Live View gave up the ghost when this video quits. I was about to go through different colors for the peaking filter and showing you how it looks in black and white, but... I think you'll get the picture, pun intended!

I LOVE the field monitor. It works great on the camcorder when I have them set up in my modified Fig Rig. I simply don't work without it. Now that I've proved to myself that it can work just as well on the 7D, I may try more video filming with it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utis7sUHCYg[/youtube]
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:41 am

Thank you Paz for the demo. Nice set up!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Paz I just got around to seeing your field monitor setup. Very nice! Where did you get the monitor and how much did it cost? How much does it weigh?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:17 pm

Ron,

The monitor is a Lilliput 7" model 664/O/P, or "slim". There are several versions of the 664, depending on which features are included.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=viviteq%20664

Some of the features are: Peaking, Histogram, Zebra Stripes to indicate blown out areas and wireless transmission, so the viewer could see what a distant camera is seeing. Works great with cams on helicopters from the video ads I've seen. At the time I bought mine the 664 was the lightest weight model at 365 grams, or 12.875 ounces. I looked at other field monitors with smaller dimensions, but this particular Lilliput was lighter than some 5" monitors.

The USA distributor is Viviteq, located in California. I purchased directly from Viviteq through Amazon for a couple of reasons. One, someone had posted having problems getting service when they had purchased through Amazon. Two, Viviteq offered a carry case for no extra charge. When traveling, my tiny camcorder fits inside the hard suitcase with the monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4UD9TQ/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some of the monitors of this particular model had some problems with color shift after being put into Peaking mode. The color shifted to a dirtyish yellow while in Peaking, then returned to the default saturation, which was too high, every time Peaking was turned off. My first one had the problem. Viviteq answered my emails promptly and had a monitor calibrated in China set to my own personal saturation preference. I was allowed to keep the first monitor while this was done. Once my replacement arrived in California, I had to send mine in, Viviteq paid shipping. Once Viviteq had received my first, they sent my second, so I was without for a little over a week. My second works great and I don't work without it.

The clarity is fabulous. The high definition image lets me see clearly when I'm in focus. I have HDMI in and out and expect to use that capability in studio to be able to see on a larger monitor. I use Peaking sometimes when I want to be absolutely sure I'm in focus. Peaking color can be selected from four choices, white, blue, red, or green. The monitor can also be put in black and white mode for peaking, if desired. I like the ability to select color. When shooting anything in trees against the sky, red is good. When shooting begonias with red tips on the leaves, blue is good. For anyone who is color blind the change feature could make a lot of difference. My camera has both zebra stripes and histogram, so I seldom use those features. Lilliput has other 664 models without the extras that are less expensive.

There are other brands of field monitors. Marshall is apparently well thought of my professionals. I simply couldn't justify the extra cost for a Marshall and now that I've used this Lilliput, I don't see how it could be any better.... well, except the screen is so glossy sometimes I see myself more than my subject. Don't care for that. I've purchased a Photodon Anti Glare Sample Pack, but have yet to try any of them.

http://www.photodon.com/c/LCD-Protective-Films.html

The Lilliput comes with two battery holder adapters. Happens that one of the holds the same battery my Canon 7D uses, so I purchased a second battery and charger. Other battery holder plates are available. Oh, and there is an electric cord that can be plugged into the wall when working near an electrical source. I use that pretty often.

There are many adjustments that can be made, such as variable brightness. The green rectangular line can be adjusted to several sizes to give an estimate of safe margins, title safe margins, etc. The screen is IPS. That means you can see it from an angle.

The tiny ball head that comes with it is horrid. I happened to have assorted camera connection parts and rigged up a more stable connection.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:48 am

Thanks Paz for the super helpful reply!! :-D
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:54 pm

My pleasure, Ron. I've received so much great help here it is nice to be able to halfway pay it back.

Mom,

Sorry 'bout highjacking your thread! Maybe I should have posted elsewhere.

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:35 pm

No worries Paz :) Lots of useful info here.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Previous

Return to Showcase