They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Concept One

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Concept One

Postby Kent Frost » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:44 am

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything on this board, but I ran into a 23 year old college video I made and digitized, so I thought you all would enjoy it.

Say hello to 1998. This is "Concept One", a super-duper cheesy short film I wrote and produced at Ozarks Technical Community College on Super-VHS when I was a very dorky 18 year old. Unfortunately, the finished copy was lost in a move around 15 years ago, but I still have one of the editing tapes I used to help make the master, and which ended up having most of my project's content on it. But, the whole thing was out of order, partially unedited, and even missing music as well as a semi-crucial scene inside OTC's old video lab at The Discovery Center with my classmate, Farris Varner, and my instructor, Merlin Miller, where he reams me for not having a project to turn in yet. So the whole rest of the film is about me trying to come up with an idea for a video project. I was able to rearrange the scenes correctly, reacquire the missing music, and basically rebuild the whole video... sans the missing scene of course (right after the intro). Unfortunately it seems that scene's gone forever.
Anyway, enjoy...if you can. Incredibly thick cheese. Unbelievably bad acting. Music could be worse though, I guess.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Re: Concept One

Postby ed » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:09 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed it Kent, must have been fun to recreate the old film clips. I love the VW beetle. I almost bought one this year to keep in the garage to work on as a hobby, but Mrs. Ed squashed that quick.

Thoughts:
    I thought the film cuts were really good, you put thought into them and they were well executed.
    Did you story board this? Seems like you must have.
    What software did you use back then for the editing?
    I can tell it's from awhile ago, because the cop waved at you as you filmed him. :)

:TU:
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Kent Frost » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:52 pm

ed wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed it Kent, must have been fun to recreate the old film clips. I love the VW beetle. I almost bought one this year to keep in the garage to work on as a hobby, but Mrs. Ed squashed that quick.

Thanks! I was proud of that beat up thing. Really wish I'd have been able to restore it to its original glory. Had to sell it long before then, though.

ed wrote:Thoughts:
    I thought the film cuts were really good, you put thought into them and they were well executed.

Thanks. I mean, it's been 23 years, but I recall being excited to get started and already had a working idea of what I wanted to do before school even started. In fact I remember not only using the SVHS gear the school had, but I owned my own 8mm video camera as well - cheap little thing.

ed wrote:
    Did you story board this? Seems like you must have.

It's a little fuzzy, but I do seem to remember storyboards being a requirement for the project.

ed wrote:
    What software did you use back then for the editing?

Software?? :conf:
It's funny because this was right at the tail end of when people were going VCR-to-VCR to do simple cuts editing. In fact that class I took introduced us to the Casablanca non-linear editing system by Macrosystem. We all kind of tinkered with it, but no one actually completed a project on it. I originally put this together using a system like this. This was from my high school a year earlier in 1997, but it was basically the same setup. All JVC & Panasonic, with a bit of Sony tossed in and Videonics for titling and effects.

IMG_3861.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:49 am

Good job Kent. Wife enjoyed that one also. Good dream sequence. You did get an "A"+ on that didn't you?

VW Bug reminded me of mine. Had it 10 years. After 5 years it would always die in the rain. Something in the engine area would get wet and kill the motor.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ed » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:16 am

Solenoid Tree Top. I used to have to take a screw driver between the connections when starting up on a rainy day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:56 pm

Why didn't you tell me that 40 years ago? :)
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Kent Frost » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:43 am

TreeTopsRanch wrote:VW Bug reminded me of mine. Had it 10 years. After 5 years it would always die in the rain. Something in the engine area would get wet and kill the motor.

That's funny, when it rained, mine would do this thing where something under the front hood (trunk?) would gather rainwater, and the moment I hit the gas to go forward it would all come pouring out of the AC vents at the passenger, drenching their lap. Good times.
Kent Frost

Return to Showcase