They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Media Analyzer and Smart Fix

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2023

Media Analyzer and Smart Fix

Postby russg » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:06 pm

I recently installed PRE 2023 on both my desktop computer and laptop. Both machines are Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit. There is an issue with the Organizer on the desktop. No problems with the laptop. I'd like to engage the Media Analyzer so smart fixes will be available to me. Currently, I can't use the Smart Fix feature in the Editor because my clips haven't been analyzed. In order to access the preferences for the Media Analyzer, you have to do it through the Organizer. I don't use the organizer, but it seems I need it to access the preferences in the Organizer. My problem with the Organizer is that none of the menu items are working. When I hover the mouse over any of the menu items in the Organizer, (File, Edit, Find, etc.) the menu items are surrounded by a white border, but when I click on any the menu items, nothing happens. Therefore I can't access the Organizer preferences. This problem does not exist in my laptop installation. My previous version of PRE was version 2021, which is still installed. What's really odd is this same problem exists in the 2021 version of the Organizer on the desktop computer.

I posted this query on the Adobe PRE forum earlier, and Steve responded that I should check my graphics card driver for updates. I updated the graphics card driver from the Nvidia website and I also updated the motherboard chipset drivers from the ASUS website. The driver updates were successful, but there was no change in the menu behavior in the Organizer. I really have no need for the Organizer itself (Lightroom and Bridge act as my organizers), I only wish to be able to use the Smart Fix Adjustment in the editor. I should add that I am having no operating issues with the PRE Editor itself (or for that matter, Lightroom or Photoshop or any other program). Is there a way I can have my media clips analyzed from the editor so I can use the Smart Fix feature in the editor?

Russ
russg
New User
New User

Re: Media Analyzer and Smart Fix

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:55 pm

I assume you've tried an uninstall and reinstall.

Was your Organizer catalog updated from a previous version of the program or was it created new when you installed version 2023?

I'm really at a loss with this one, so I'm just grasping at straws. Aside from outdated driver issues, I've never heard of this problem before, particularly when it is unique to the Organizer and does not seem to affect Premiere Elements.

Have you contacted Adobe Customer Care via chat? They are often the best place to find a solution to this type of problem.
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/what-co ... tions.html
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby russg » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:14 pm

I was going to uninstall/reinstall, thinking it was a defective installation on the desktop. But then I see that I have the identical problem on the desktop with the Organizer in PRE 2021, which is still installed on the both computers. The fact that the same problem exists in v. 2021 and 2023 makes me wonder about the defective install theory. Unless...the installation for goth version use one or more common files, which may be corrupted. Something like a shared dll file or some other thing I'm not qualified to discuss. I really don't have any other options at this point other than to uninstall and reinstall, but it makes sense that I should run it by Adobe before doing that. I'm guessing that Adobe doesn't offer telephone support for PRE like they do with my Photography Plan programs, so I guess chat will have to suffice. I wonder if Adobe chat has the ability to remotely connect with my PC. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Very strange that this problem, which only exists in the Organizer and not the Editor, but exists for both v 2021 and 2023 on this computer, and does not exist with either version on my Laptop. When I purchased the upgrade for v 2023 on Adobe's website, I downloaded the install file using the desktop computer and installed it. Rather than downloading the file again with the laptop, I just copied the install to the laptop's hard drive over my home network. Point being, that both installations were executed from the very same download file. Both installations have been successfully activated.

Russ
russg
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:04 am

If you choose to uninstall/reinstall, be sure to use the install files you download the latest from Adobe rather than the ones you used from your original source -- just in case the problem is a defective install file. This is such a rare problem anyway -- but you're two for two on the same problem on two different computers?

Try that then. And then contact Adobe.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby russg » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:27 am

Not quite, Steve. I downloaded the install file for v 2023 directly from adobe on my desktop computer. I used that file to install 2023 on the desktop. Then, rather than downloading the install program again, I copied the install file that I downloaded to the desktop over to the hard drive of the laptop over my home network. I then installed 2023 on the laptop using the original downloaded install file just copied over from the desktop computer. The laptop installation has no issues. So I'm really on for two on that downloaded install file. That would seem to point away from a corrupt install file and point more to an issue with the desktop computer.

Russ
russg
New User
New User

Postby russg » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:29 pm

Well, the problem has been identified and fixed, sort of. I uninstalled both versions 2021 and 203 of PRE. I rebooted and then reinstalled 2023. No change. Still the problem with the menus being non functional. Click on a menu item and you get the white border around the item's header, but the bottom part of the white border is not visible, and no items populate under the menu item's header. It's as if the part of the screen in the organizer below the menu items where it shows Import, Media, People, Places, Events, Search, Create and Share is not yielding to the menu drop-downs and preventing them from being shown. The window for the Organizer is in maximized view. When I change the window to restored view, it defaults to the same size as maximized and has the same problem with the menus. BUT, when I resize the window in restored view to a size smaller than full screen, then the menus items work perfectly. So here’s the deal. For some bizarre reason, when the Organizer's window occupies the entire screen, either in maximized or restored view, the menus lose their functionality and cannot show themselves because the bar with the items mentioned previously blocks them from appearing. But when the window for the Organizer's window is in restored view mode and is reduced in size to anything less than full screen, the menus are fully functional. I have never seen this strange behavior in any other program on this computer, nor does the problem exist on my laptop. It would seem that there is some sort of communication breakdown between Windows, my graphics card (with the updated Nvidia studio driver) and the Organizer program. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else experiences this issue with the Organizer with its window maximized.

Problem solved with a large asterisk.

Thanks to those who replied.

Russ
russg
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:04 pm

What resolution and scale factor are you using on the desktop machine? PrEl 2023 needs a minimum of 1280x800 display resolution (at 100% scale factor).
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby russg » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:22 pm

1920 X 1080 and 100% scale.

Russ
russg
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:29 pm

russg wrote:1920 X 1080 and 100% scale.

It was at least worth asking. It sounded like the sort of thing that can happen when a program doesn't have enough display room at a particular resolution.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Premiere Elements 2023