They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Generic error inporting Motion Backgrounds

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2021

Generic error inporting Motion Backgrounds

Postby BrianR » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi Steve and everyone. Working through Cool Tips and Hot Tricks and two attempts to use some Motion Backgrounds. At first I tried HD when I was on the Mac and when it wouldn't work, I thought maybe the problem was they wouldn't transfer to Windows 10 but that clearly wasn't it because I then imported via Windows. (The first time were the HD, I think I'm remembering right it was 'HD') but the second time I used the SD ones.) I can select the files OK but when I click import I get a message saying 'Generic computer error'. I'm trying to import them via the Add Media on Premiere Elements 2021 on Windows 10. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for help with this. By the way I opened the files on download with WinZip.
All best
Brian
iMac 27" Big Sur 3GHz 6-Core Intel i5 GPU AMD Radeon Pro 570X 4GB 16GB RAM; Laptop Windows 10 64-bit HDMI to 27" monitor Intel i5 16GB RAM only 128 GB SSD but I transfer all finished work to a Synology box DS213j (2 Seagate disks).
BrianR

Re: Generic error inporting Motion Backgrounds

Postby BrianR » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:11 pm

Sorry, the exact message is, 'The importer reported a generic error.'
iMac 27" Big Sur 3GHz 6-Core Intel i5 GPU AMD Radeon Pro 570X 4GB 16GB RAM; Laptop Windows 10 64-bit HDMI to 27" monitor Intel i5 16GB RAM only 128 GB SSD but I transfer all finished work to a Synology box DS213j (2 Seagate disks).
BrianR

Postby BrianR » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Further update -- I converted the file from .MOV to mpeg2 using Any Video Converter. Haven't tried the 'trick' yet but at least it imported directly into Add Media. Perhaps PremEle2021 doesn't like .mov files?
BrianR

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Converting may be the only solution there. It's not just that it's an MOV file. It's a particular type of MOV file.

Many of these files were designed to be used in an After Effects project. Unfortunately, they don't work as smoothly in Premiere Elements. And converting the file is pretty much the only solution.

At Muvipix, we're a big fan of Handbrake for converting files. It's simple and the files it produces are compatible with virtually all editors.

Because you're a Premium subscriber, you can contact me about any file that is giving you trouble and I'll convert it for you.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby BrianR » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:37 am

That's great Steve, many thanks again! Actually I've been using one of those Motion Background files to cope with something else. I used to use a Canon EOS still camera with a movie facility but recently I've downsized(!) to a Panasonic Lumix and although I've switched on stabilizer etc for filming, I get A LOT of camera shake try as I might. The Premier Elements Shake Reduction only deals with the worst clips in Detailed mode, but that crops the clips furiously. So I'm experimenting with the Background files in place of what I used to use, the Color Matte (dark red) in Project Assets. It might work. Alternatively I might splash out on a video camera (I've never had one). Depends on what's for sale on budget terms! (I'll ask your advice on this in another post. I've always gone with Canon for still photography!)
BrianR

Return to Premiere Elements 2021