They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New User

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2021

New User

Postby Robw03 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:40 am

Good morning, I'm a new user to Premier Elements(and this forum) and just finished reading Steve's excellent book on Elements 2021, thank you Steve. I'm just tackling key framing and titles, a substantial learning curve, but with all your help I know I'll get through it. My interest is creating videos for the grandkids that highlight family gatherings, and want to create a video that helps them get to know the highlights of their parents life growing up,

I was surprised to see that the program was limited on the Apple platform. I was always under the assumption that macOS was for the "creative" and now I see that several neat features are not included in the Mac version, such as Pitch Shifter in audio effects, Green Screen (looks like Videomerge will work), and several other effect limitations. In my first video creation I dressed as Santa Claus and wanted to voice shift from my voice to a more Santa like voice. So far no real luck. I saw the recommendation for Audacity, but there is no Mac version of this software. Does anyone have a suggestion of a voice shifter software that works on the Mac and maybe includes a Santa voice? I know I might be asking for the impossible but if anyone knows I'm sure it will be members of this forum.

In the near future I'll be looking for a new computer maybe I need to look into a Windows machine if the apple platform is limited in its capabilities. Any thoughts?

Looking forward to getting into Elements further and also sharing ideas on this forum. Thank you in advance for being patient with me if I ask obvious questions.
Robw03
New User
New User

Re: New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:58 am

Welcome to the group Rob !! You will not find a more knowledgeable or friendly group of people anywhere on the internet. :meet: :wcm:

:::muvipix:::
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:08 pm

Great to have you aboard, Rob!

We're glad to help coach you as you search for a new computer. What is your budget and what are your priorities? What program(s) do you plan to work with?

I'm a big fan of under-$800 refurbished computers myself. And, with today's technology, that's certainly more than doable!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:25 pm

Welcome to Muvipx a super friendly and great resource on your video journey.

A windows based machine is a good choice for Premiere Elements. From a CPU perspective, I feel it is most economical to stay behind the cutting edge devices as you can get some powerful machines at reduced prices. A great first step is to identify the software programs you are interested in running then find the chipset requirements for those programs. Then you can identify the most powerful chipset that is in your budget.

Currently the higher end choices are something like a Intel Core i9 9900K or the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, but you need to make your decision based on your budget.

Look forward to sharing the adventure.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:27 pm

:meet:

I would also suggest going with Windows for Premiere Elements.
Peru

Postby GerryB » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:21 am

Rob,
Audacity does exist for iOS, I have it installed.
Screen grab for download page on audacity team.org
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Robw03 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:11 pm

Thanks GerryB, I'll give it a try.

Rob
Robw03
New User
New User

Postby Robw03 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on computer systems. I've been a long term Apple user, so a change is kinda scary, but it sounds like I really need to look into a windows based system.

Rob
Robw03
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:19 pm

I hope didn't scare you away from Mac OS, Rob. It is a great operating system on a great computer. In fact, most of Windows' best ideas were based on Apple's innovations.

But there are a number of advantages to Windows too. Including cost and availability of software.

But you're not going to go wrong either way. It all depends on your budget and what software you plan to work with.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:25 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:In fact, most of Windows' best ideas were based on Apple's innovations.

...which in turn were based on original work developed at Xerox Parc.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Robw03 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:20 pm

Steve, no you didn't scare me, just got me thinking, which is probably scary in its self, rarely do I get accused of thinking! I guess if I had a followup thought, is it a Mac (hardware) limitation or Adobe Premier Elements software for Mac limitation, leaving out certain effects? I see where iMovie has green-screen, which causes me to wonder where the limitation lies. just my thoughts.

Rob
Robw03
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 pm

My feeling is that Premiere Elements is developed for the PC and then translated into a Mac program. Some of its effects (including chroma key) don't work on the Mac OS -- which I guess makes it a Mac issue rather than an Adobe issue. (For what it's worth, CyberLink PowerDirector has the same issue. After years of being PC only, the company is now selling a Mac version --- but it's missing a lot of the original's features, which a number of people are very unhappy about.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 pm

Robw03 wrote: My interest is creating videos for the grandkids that highlight family gatherings,.

Welcome to Muvipix. Steve's books are excellent. How old are your grands? Mine are 2, 4, 7 & 11. I make 3 minute vignettes movies of their occasions. The birthday movies are their favorites. School and Christmas gatherings are longer. I try to add interviews with them at the event so that later they can look back and hear what they were thinking at the time. Another favorite is the first day of school interviews. The last one I had the oldest interview the younger ones. I built a late night TV type show set. Some of the videos I do include a longer version of 8 to 10 minutes.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Robw03 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi momoffduty(Cheryl), thank you for the welcome. My grandkids are 4, 6,7,9 and 11, almost the same as yours. As I mentioned in my first post, I want to be able to create "memory videos" (hopefully somewhat entertaining) of the times we can get together as a family. Our family is spread out across the county, (son and family in Air Force stationed in Florida, daughter and family in CA, and us in Washington State) so gatherings together while few are very special and I want the little ones to have a fun personal record of those special times, past and in the future. Most of my current media is photos with a few scattered videos, so narrative will be critical to provide the background. I like your idea of the interviews, something they can look back on 20, 30 years or more from now.

I look forward with sharing ideas and being able to pick everyones brains to get creative ideas.

Rob
Robw03
New User
New User

Postby momoffduty » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:52 am

Hi Rob, your family is spread out and can see why family gatherings would be extra special. Another video idea since you are not living nearby, is to edit your children's cell videos of their events. My daughter, husband and her kids went to Florida. She shot a bunch of cell phone video and gave it to me to edit. I made a short 3 minute version and a 15 minute version. She lives nearby so I could capture from her phone to my computer. Your children would have to send you the video. I use WeTransfer for video and photo files. It is a free service.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Next

Return to Premiere Elements 2021