They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Mixing music audio volume without adding key frames?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2021

Mixing music audio volume without adding key frames?

Postby petsounds01 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:30 pm

Since I'm asking a bunch of newbie questions...

How do I test out the mix of a video clip and a music track while they are both playing without adding key frames? I just want to drag the volume of the music up and down while they're both playing until I get the mix I want. I can drag the yellow line up and down, but the video stops playing (this also doesn't really work because it's not sensitive enough; it jumps too much to be useful). I can open the mixer and slide the music track volume up and down while its playing, but then after I go back to the track there are a ton of key frames at every point where I moved the slider at all different volumes. The same thing happens in the audio adjustments panel, too.

I play music and mix music, so maybe I'm not approaching this correctly, but I'm used to having multiple tracks play at the same time and adjusting a slider on any given track until I get a good mix... without it saving every specific adjustment. Basically, I just want to preview the video audio and music audio mix and nothing more. Thanks.
petsounds01

Re: Mixing music audio volume without adding key frames?

Postby petsounds01 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:38 pm

For reference, this is what I'm talking about. After I adjust the audio, it adds in a key frame in every spot where I moved the slider. I just want an overall track volume preview.

https://ibb.co/J3Pkpx9
petsounds01

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:49 am

If you don't add keyframes, your changes will affect the level of the audio for the entire music clip instead of in specific spots. Is that what you're trying to do?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby petsounds01 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:25 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:If you don't add keyframes, your changes will affect the level of the audio for the entire music clip instead of in specific spots. Is that what you're trying to do?

Yes, exactly. However, the keyframes are automatically being added for some reason. That's what the cluster of keyframes in the picture I posted is... I'm not sure why it's happening. Basically, it seems to be recording every single volume nudge I make while using the audio mixer and playing the video and then applying the key frames to the track at those points.
petsounds01

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:49 am

Yes. That's what will happen if you adjust the audio levels in the Audio Mixer while your music is playing. It's how the tool is designed to work because most people prefer to work that way. And I don't know any way to turn that feature off.

If you want to adjust the audio levels for the entire clip, you'll need to drag the yellow "rubber band" line down on your timeline.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:55 am

The easiest way it to make the change (track will add 1 keyframe) If the result is undesirable just go back to that same spot and make a new change. You will then only have 1 keyframe to deal with. Or you keep doing what you are doing and when you have the level you like just delete the keyframe (it will delete all but the last setting)

If you want dynamic changes to change throughout the piece that you are stuck with keyframes. The video editor is not really designed and a multichannel audio mixer so the process becomes a bit manual.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby petsounds01 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:08 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Yes. That's what will happen if you adjust the audio levels in the Audio Mixer while your music is playing. It's how the tool is designed to work because most people prefer to work that way. And I don't know any way to turn that feature off.

If you want to adjust the audio levels for the entire clip, you'll need to drag the yellow "rubber band" line down on your timeline.

Ah, I see. Is there a way to drag the rubber band while the clip is playing? It always stops. For me, the rubber band is difficult to work with since there is no nudging. I can try to be as slow as possible, but it sill jump from 0db to 1.57db (or whatever) when I barely move it.
petsounds01

Postby petsounds01 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:13 pm

sidd finch wrote:The easiest way it to make the change (track will add 1 keyframe) If the result is undesirable just go back to that same spot and make a new change. You will then only have 1 keyframe to deal with. Or you keep doing what you are doing and when you have the level you like just delete the keyframe (it will delete all but the last setting)

If you want dynamic changes to change throughout the piece that you are stuck with keyframes. The video editor is not really designed and a multichannel audio mixer so the process becomes a bit manual.

Sidd

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm also not sure what triggers the keyframes to be added. The only way I could add only one while listened would be to only move the volume slider once. I'm actually a little shocked that something as simple as adjusting volume while listening to your video isn't a part of the program. That makes no sense to me. That's like the key component of mixing.

I have no issue with the dynamic changes... just that using the rubber band is difficult.
petsounds01

Postby petsounds01 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:36 pm

I'd just like to add that I figured out that I can resize the tracks to make them easier to work with while dragging the rubber band up and down. This is probably the closest I'm gonna get to what I want... if only you could move the rubber band while the clip was playing. Thanks for the answers.
petsounds01

Return to Premiere Elements 2021