They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Using Markers as TimeStamps?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2021

Using Markers as TimeStamps?

Postby lsbuby » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:56 pm

I'm *really* new to video editing and I've found that finding answers to my questions takes a lot longer to research because I'm not using the correct vernacular. So bear with me:-)

I am putting together video support for business process documentation with screen recordings, "walkthroughs" if you will. These videos are pretty long (1hr +/-) and chocked-full of info. I need to make them easy to navigate to various/numerous points within the timeline. The easiest way I've found to do this is by using markers as though I'm making a DVD. But it appears the scene menu cannot be produced without actually burning the movie to a DVD (not an option). Assuming that is correct, is there any way to download/export a list of the markers with timestamps of their locations so that I can at least provide future users with a 'map' of where to find what they need?

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help!
lsbuby
New User
New User

Re: Using Markers as TimeStamps?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Not with Premiere Elements. It's just not designed to create interactive video.

In fact, I'm not sure what to recommend to you. Traditional video editors simply don't do this kind of thing.

Maybe someone else can recommend a program designed to produce interactive video.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:07 am

In the late 1980s/early 1990s I was involved in Expert Systems (ES) software and applications development. We had some success with ES systems including developing training programmes using the ES software linked to a laser disc (remember them?).

All 'state of the art' technology then but all rather old hat compared to modern technology.

The ES software that we were using at that time (MS-DOS based) is certainly no longer available. I haven't checked but if there still exists some basic, rule based ES shell software then that should do what you wish to do.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby lsbuby » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:55 am

Wow. I guess I'm a little surprised to hear that this sort of functionality doesn't exist. Seems to me that it would have some tremendous market potential, especially with a few use cases I'm imagining. Anyway, and in that case, my "Plan B" is to do my video editing in Premier Elements 2021, adding numbered TimeLine Markers at appropriate points throughout as I go, simultaneously keeping a list elsewhere (Word, Notepad, etc.). When the final version is ready to render and export, I will have to manually capture the timestamp of each Marker and record it on the list. I can upload and link to a streaming service (YouTube or, most likely MS Stream for this project) that allows for timestamped links for users to use as a "menu". Is my understanding correct that TimeLine Markers will ripple with my video edits and stay with the scenes that I have tagged them with??
lsbuby
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Have a look at Adobe Captivate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri00HMIKVoc
Peru

Postby lsbuby » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:12 pm

Well, that's interesting! I'll check that out. Thank you, Peru. If anyone has any other suggestions, please send them my way! And a big thanks to Steve and Mr. TwoSheds for this comprehensive support site! It's already helped me along my steep learning curve a few times!
lsbuby
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Peru from the looks of it MS PowerPoint does the same thing. If you already have the MS then its just a matter of creating the PowerPoint deck and inserting the videos. Just remember that all the media needs to be stored in the same folder so you do not get missing links.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Premiere Elements 2021