They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Dark mode in PE and trimming the clips before inserting

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2020

Dark mode in PE and trimming the clips before inserting

Postby munk Miikael » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:55 pm

Hello and thanks for all the help and two brief questions:

1) Is it possible somehow to make Premiere Elements go into dark mode? Bright mode hurts my eyes, since I usually work in the dark, we have no lamps or electricity in the monastery.

2) Do I guess correctly that when adding video clips to the program, cutting them down to the size I actually am going to use spares energy and makes the program go faster? That is, when I have for example 30 second long movieclip, but I only intend to use 5 seconds of it, is it clever to first clip out those 5 seconds with something like Windows Photos and add it to the video editing program later - not add 30 seconds to the program first and then trimming it to the desired size?

thank you, monk Miikael
Monk Miikael, son of Arvo
munk Miikael
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Dark mode in PE and trimming the clips before inserting

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:45 pm

1) No. The interface has only one color scheme. Gray.

2) I don't know that cutting clips down will make the program work more efficiently. Although you are only working with a segment of the clip, the program is still using your original clip. That's just the nature of modern video editing. In fact, even if it did save you energy, the savings wouldn't be significant or even noticeable.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:17 am

When you import the clip It is my understanding that the program makes a copy of the clip for editing and the original is not altered. You can create multiple smaller projects that can be combined in the end.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:53 pm

When you import the clip It is my understanding that the program makes a copy of the clip for editing and the original is not altered.

Sorry Sidd, but PE does not make a copy of the clip for editing. Premiere Elements is a Non-Linear Editor and uses pointers to define the in and out points of the portions of the original source to be edited. Non-linear means that PE can use the pointers to go directly to the corresponding parts of the source material to be edited without having to linearly read through the source file bypassing the unused portions.

Monk Miikael, the edits you make are virtual edits that don't alter the original source material. All the information about the locations, in and out points, position on the timeline, and edits is stored in the project file. PE reads the frames of the original source directly as needed and doesn't need to linearly read through the unused material. Your edited video will only become a new physical file when you export it. When editing or viewing in the editor, rendering is done on-the-fly. Performance will depend on many factors including the size of the source video frames, frame rate, Bit rate, the complexity of the project, and the speed and capability of your editing hardware. Regarding your example of using only 5 seconds of a 30 second clip, you will gain nothing by editing out the 5 second portion, exporting that as a new file, and then importing that file to PE for use in the project. You will actually use more energy by doing that and it won't make the program go faster.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 pm

As always Bob thank you for your insight and knowledge.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby munk Miikael » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Thanks very much to you all for very clear and thorough explanations! It is a bit beyond my present level to understand all the technical specs of what you explained - or rather, I understood what Steve and Sidd said, but Bob's Non-Linear Editor explanation I do not completely grasp yet, these are new terms for me. But I read everything carefully and will accept it on your word.
However, to make things perfectly clear - I wonder if there may have been a misunderstanding here. I did not mean trimming the video clip down to size inside the PE, but that I physically cut down the file before adding it to the program. I will upload it to this IceDrive folder so that you can have a quick look, if you would like to help me understand withot possibility of error:
here is a video of deer walking outside our windows. The first video, DSCN3404.mp4 is about 60 seconds long and 143 MB large. The other video, DSCN3404_Trim is 10 second long, 10 MB large and clipped out from the full DSCN3404 movie using Windows Photos.

https://icedrive.net/1/26QZOSBXXu

Do I understand you correctly that when I only am going to use the 10 seconds I clipped out in the project, it makes no difference regarding to speed whether I add the full movie physical file 60 seconds long or when I add the 10 second physical file that I clipped out? I mean that maybe with one clip it does not make any difference, but what about adding many clips without editing them down to size first?

Thank you very much!
munk Miikael
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby munk Miikael » Sun May 09, 2021 4:30 pm

I suppose this was not a question deserving an answer. Thank you for your patience with my incompetency! Whatever the case, it seems to me simply easier to trim the clips down to size before adding them to the program. Or as Steve would say "more intuitive". The resources and speed are an issue to me because I only use the computer on battery. But I split now movies into segments when working on larger projects. That helps. Thank you!
munk Miikael
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon May 10, 2021 3:17 am

munk Miikael wrote:I suppose this was not a question deserving an answer.

That is absolutely not the case. I apologize for not responding sooner, somehow I missed your question until you posted again.

I understood that you were talking about physically segmenting a larger file into one or more smaller files. My point was that you didn't need to do that.

When you add a file to your project, Premiere Elements simply adds an entry in the project file that points to the physical location of the file and the beginning and end of the clip. It does not physically copy or import that file into the project. As you edit your project, Premiere Elements updates those beginning and ending pointers to correspond to the trims you made. And, if you use the scissors to split a clip, a new entry will be added to the project file for the new segment you created. Premiere Elements can quickly and efficiently access the portions of the physical files it needs directly as needed -- it doesn't matter whether you have one segment or hundreds of segments.

Creating separate physical files for segments isn't going to speed up processing and can potentially slow it down on conventional hard drives.
Bob

Postby munk Miikael » Tue May 11, 2021 4:15 pm

Thank you very much! I think I understand. That means then that the PE project is like a plan, like a map with information where to get the file segments that are necessary?
I will try it out then. Thank you again!
munk Miikael
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 pm

You are very welcome!

And, yes, you understand correctly. The Project File contains a list of the necessary file segments, a "map" to where to get them, and information as to how they are assembled.
Bob

Postby munk Miikael » Thu May 13, 2021 4:59 pm

Good that comparisons like "map" work - now I understood it, in plain peasant language! Thank you!
munk Miikael
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu May 13, 2021 10:49 pm

Miikael,

Welcome to Muvipix! I don't visit often, so this is my first time to see you here.

Your question about background brightness in Premiere Elements...

What kind of computer are you using? Laptop? Desktop? What operating system and version? Mac? Windows?

Windows 10?

If so, right click on a blank space of the background of your desktop. Open >Display Settings> (on left side) Night Light might help lower your screen brightness, and reduce your battery draw as well.

On the right side of the screen > Changing Screen Brightness may be of help.

6500 is generally considered a good white balance setting for getting good color. I believe most computers are delivered to customers with a much higher white setting.

Really nice to see the deer outside your window! The kind of shots I like to (try to) get. Somewhere around here I have some footage of some white tail deer nibbling in my backyard this past winter. No snow here in the USA south. :fg:
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby munk Miikael » Fri May 21, 2021 7:54 am

Thank you very much for a friendly welcome! This much I knew already how to turn on the night light and reduce screen brightness. I usually keep it at 20%. But I thank you for your good will.
Generally, the grey scale of Adobe Premiere Elements is not bad, though I would wish for a completely dark mode.
I am glad you liked the deer. Now I put the whole music video together:

https://tv.gab.com/channel/monkmiikael/ ... 02a24ac790

This is the most advanced video I have made, using all the tricks I have learned so far, some directly from Steve's tutorials (Zoom call-style video collage effect). It was manys hour and days of work to get this 5 minutes done. Now I will have to take a pause from making more advanced videos, because there is many monastery affairs to tend to after our Holy Elder Father Robert was born to a better life.
I do not say I believe; after the falling asleep of Father Robert and after I
made contact with his relatives in Connecticut and after we were advised to turn
to a large Benedictine monastery in Oklahoma for help, I suddenly knew that I
would be coming to the States myself sooner or later. Although the thought had
never occured to me before.
munk Miikael
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 21, 2021 8:45 am

This is very beautiful work, Miikael! I can see why you appreciate life in the monastery! And I especially like how you transitioned from illustrations and paintings to actual scenes.

Are you saying that you will be coming to the USA soon for a visit?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 21, 2021 10:47 am

What a wonderful tribute to your friend, Miikael. It's clear that you put a lot of thought and effort into this video. And as a Tolkien fan, I especially appreciate the comparisons. Very nice! :TU:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Next

Return to Premiere Elements 2020