They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rendering video

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2020

Rendering video

Postby HollyH » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:02 pm

Hello, I know I'm out of order, but I can't figure out how to create a new topic/post. I just finished the LinkedIn Learning Premiere Elements 2020 course. You only mention rendering a few times and I need some clarification. Is rendering similar to flattening an image's layers in Photoshop Elements before saving? Which you really don't need to do, because saving as a PNG or JPG will automatically do that. So I'm thinking you don't really need to render before exporting, but then why is there a render button? I've Googled around and one search result says sometimes you don't want to render before exporting.

I'm completely confused. When do you render, why do you render, what happens if you render before exporting or if you DON'T render before exporting?
HollyH
New User
New User

Re: Rendering video

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:03 am

There are actually two kinds of rendering, Holly, and that may be where the confusion comes in.
1) Rendering can refer to your final movie output, where you Export & Share your finished project as a new video.
2) When we talk about rendering your timeline, however, we're just just about creating a clean preview of your timeline so that you can watch a smooth-playing video. In Premiere Elements, it's a good idea to render your timeline whenever you see a yellow-orange 'render' line along the top of the timeline. When you render your timeline, this yellow orange line will turn green. This will keep your editing process moving smoothly and will keep the program from getting bogged down creating "soft renders" as you work.

It is not necessary to render your timeline before you output your final movie. Rendering your timeline is merely to make the editing process smooth and efficient.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HollyH » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:19 am

Super, thanks so much for the quick response! I really just need this to create simple instructional videos for my FB group and YouTube channel, and I'm a complete newbie to video editing (next up - to learn how to use my new Logitech! - do you have any training on that?). Luckily I've used PhotoShop Elements for about 5 years so some of this is slightly intuitive.
A few other questions:
I wasn't sure how to close a project in order to move on to another. So I would go into Project Assets, select all of the assets and click on the trashcan. Is there a simpler way?
I notice that you can only "save as" a .prel file. Using PS Elements as an analogy, is a .prel file similar to a .psd in that if you save the video as a .prel, you are saving all of the "layers" so that you can open it later and continue editing?
Also, If I just want to save a final version of my video onto my computer or a USB drive, it doesn't appear that I can just do a quick "save as" an .mp4. I have to "export and share" to Devices (computer), correct?
What's the difference between "save as" and "save a copy" and when would we want to "save a copy"?
That should do it, just a few simple clarifications and I think I've got it :-)
HollyH
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:59 am

A .prel file is a project file. Unless a PSD file, it is not the media itself but it is a Premiere Elements editing project which includes links to your media. In order to view a .prel file, you need to output it as a video using Export & Share.

It might be worth your while, before you get too deeply into asking more questions, for you to start with some basic information. Our free 8 part Basic Training tutorials are definitely a great place to start, and our "Muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements" book on Amazon will answer virtually all of your questions in simple, step by step language.

After that, if you've still got questions, we're glad to help you get answers. That's what Muvipix is all about!

HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HollyH » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Terrific, thank you!
HollyH
New User
New User

Return to Premiere Elements 2020