They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Playing MP4-XAVC-S on BluRay Player?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2020

Playing MP4-XAVC-S on BluRay Player?

Postby ABWay » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:46 pm

Can current BluRay players (for my TV) play mp4-xavc-s video files? PrE 2020 is creating 4K UltraHD files that I am archiving on BD data discs but my old BD player will not play these 4K MP4 files. Would a newer BD player play these files to my TV and how would I know before I bought one?
ABWay
New User
New User

Re: Playing MP4-XAVC-S on BluRay Player?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:53 am

Two thoughts.

Firstly, could you check the file compatibilty specs on any replacement BD player before buying?

Secondly, probably a better option(?), take a BD that you have created down to the shop and ask them to 'try before you buy'.

But you wrote that you are archiving to a BD data disc. Will a BD player play a BD disc that is a data disc rather than a BD disc that is a video disc?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:10 am

I'm with John. A BluRay-formatted disc is a playable disc -- but an MP4 on a disc is a just data disc with a video file on it.

Also BluRay players won't play 4K files. To do that you'll need a 4K UHD BluRay player -- and even then this player may only play 4K UHD BluRay discs. It still may not play 4K MP4s on a disc.

I guess the real question is: Are you just archiving 4K video or are you trying to produce 4K UHD playable discs?

If you're trying to create 4K playable discs, you may need to use a program like DVDFab, which may be difficult finding support for.
https://www.dvdfab.cn/resource/4k-media ... -4k-movies
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 am

PrE 2020 is creating 4K UltraHD files that I am archiving on BD data discs

You might consider using an external SSD for archive purposes. With almost everything moving away from a disc based system, players, recorders, and units are getting scarcer by the day. An SSD offers a better long term storage solution that is compatible and gives you more options in the long term. You can also play the files from the SSD to the TV.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Premiere Elements 2020