They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to make a video with multiple video tracks?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2020

How to make a video with multiple video tracks?

Postby tdehan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:55 pm

I am trying to make a video with multiple video clips all syncd to a master audio track. I don't want them on the same time line as I want parts to overlay at different times.
1. How do I view the different tracks in order to place them where I want? I only see one of the multiple tracks when I click PLAY. I've tried highlighting the track I want to see and nothing...
2. How can a video track be nudged precisely left or right to line up with the audio track. I can drag the clip with the mouse but it is not accurate or precise. Is there a keyboard shortcut to enable this?

Thanks!

T
tdehan
New User
New User

Re: How to make a video with multiple video tracks?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:56 pm

What you are describing is called multicam editing. And it's where Premiere Elements is, unfortunately, at its weakest.

There are ways to cut between video sources in Premiere Elements, but it's not easy. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend trying.

If you want to see how multicam editing works on a similarly priced editor, check out Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.

HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:00 am

You might achieve the result you seek by using Expert View in Premiere Elements and placing the video tracks one above the other, adjusting the relative positions of each of the tracks so that they will sync with your audio track. Then use the Opacity Effect controls to set key frames. For the video track that you wish to see set Opacity to 100%, set the opacity of all other tracks to 0%. By doing this you can switch between video tracks as necessary.

If this works for you and once you have the desired result export the video then re-edit it to place transitions at the points where the video changes from one scene to another.

Hopefully what I have tried to describe makes some sense. :)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby tdehan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks John,

I was able to do exactly what I wanted using Expert Mode. Not quite clear about the opacity part. However, I place each video clip on a separate line and was able to edit them so that each came in as desired. I didn't have to export it prior to adding transitions as I was able to add transitions to each clip on separate lines.

I have 2 more questions:
1. In order to get the above to work I added each clip one at a time working with each individual clip prior to adding the next clip. In so doing, I had to click on RENDER for each individual clip propr to working with it. Is it possible to add ALL the clips to the separate lines and click RENDER for everything at the same time prior to working with the clips?
2. Is there a keyboard shortcut that can nudge each track left or right in small increments? I had to turn off SNAP to GRID in order to move the tracks to the right position with the mouse. However, that is extremely difficult and tedious. I've tried using the left and right arrows which did nothing when the track was selected. I also tried holding down the CTRL and the ALT keys using the left and right arrows and that also did nothing. There must be away to do this without having to use the mouse!
tdehan
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:26 pm

tdehan wrote:I have 2 more questions:
1. In order to get the above to work I added each clip one at a time working with each individual clip prior to adding the next clip. In so doing, I had to click on RENDER for each individual clip propr to working with it. Is it possible to add ALL the clips to the separate lines and click RENDER for everything at the same time prior to working with the clips?

Absolutely. The main reason that you might want to render at any particular time would be if playback would be jerky while you're editing. If that's not a problem you can render whenever you would like, or not render at all. Rendering the timeline doesn't affect the final product.

2. Is there a keyboard shortcut that can nudge each track left or right in small increments? I had to turn off SNAP to GRID in order to move the tracks to the right position with the mouse. However, that is extremely difficult and tedious. I've tried using the left and right arrows which did nothing when the track was selected. I also tried holding down the CTRL and the ALT keys using the left and right arrows and that also did nothing. There must be away to do this without having to use the mouse!

In Windows select the clip, hold the Alt key and press the period key to nudge right one frame, Alt and comma to nudge left one frame.
Here's a link to the default shortcuts for both Windows and Mac:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elemen ... tcuts.html

Once you're in expert mode a whole world opens up. And you don't have to be an expert to use "Expert" mode. And we're always here to help. Welcome to Muvipix! :meet:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby tdehan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:07 pm

Excellent!!! Thanks
tdehan
New User
New User

Return to Premiere Elements 2020