They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

is a dedicated graphics card needed for Pre El?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2020

is a dedicated graphics card needed for Pre El?

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:01 pm

I may be needing a new laptop, and over the years, I've heard 2 different answers to this...do I need a dedicated graphics card to efficiently run Premiere Elements? My version is a few years old...I was intending to look at I-7 processors if that makes a difference...I may upgrade to a newer version of Pre El eventually.

My laptop may be on its way out and I am supposed to give a presentation on Wednesday!!!!! I won't need Pre El for the presentation - most of that work is already done, but, down the road, I want that capability.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! How y'all been? I hope I posted this in the correct area of the forum.

EDIT: and what processor rating would I want to look for? Is I-5 (a step down from my current machine, though it might have more power than my current has, since it's 4 years old) a reasonable choice? Thanks again!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: is a dedicated graphics card needed for Pre El?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:21 pm

Hi, Sherrin! Welcome back!

Premiere Elements makes pretty much no use of your computer's graphics system so, if you're going to be editing on Elements programs, put your money into a good processor instead.

I use this benchmark chart to compare processors. Anything rating over a 10,000 is more than adequate for even heavy duty 4K editing. (If you're just editing HD video, you can go as low as an 8,500 rating.) Most new desktops are powerful enough to do the job, but laptops tend to be built for portability rather than speed, so you may want to look up the CPU of whatever you're considering and make sure it's up to spec.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: is a dedicated graphics card needed for Pre El?

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:41 pm

Thanks Steve!!! Can always count on you for great information! WOW - I always thought I needed the graphics card. I don't plan to move beyond Elements so that bit of info will save me some $$$. I'll check the benchmark website. That's such a helpful resource - i just referred to it a few months ago for someone else's computer decision. Thanks for giving me a number to aim for.

I can't believe my laptop - one of the hinges is breaking and it's affecting my screen...right when i'm giving a presentation in a few days. According to Best Buy geeks I should be able to hook it up to my desktop monitor to finish putting the powerpoint together and then use the projector to run the presentation without having my monitor. The downside is i won't be able to do it in presenter mode so i'll have to have my notes printed out and i can't see which slide is coming up. Yeah, i'm not hugely prepared for this presentation, can you tell? haha

Thanks again Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really do check in here now and then but just haven't posted.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Premiere Elements 2020