They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Premiere elements won't capature video from tape

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2020

Premiere elements won't capature video from tape

Postby audioeditor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:02 pm

I needed another capture station for analog video. I have two stations of Premiere Pro, but needed a third way to capture video while playing it on a deck. I wrote B&H and asked if Premiere Elements had a "Capture" mode and also a way to crop the video while on the timeline. A reader answered a positive yes to both my requirements. I got the software today and am disappointed to find that it doesn't in fact have a "capture" mode for capturing video as it is played back on a deck. I don't know about the cropping yet because I can't "capture" the video playback from the analog deck. I even have a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle to use with Elements but PE doesn't seem to recognize it either. Premier Pro takes it right in from the shuttle.
Am disappointed in Premiere Elements. It is very, very different from Premiere Pro and I suppose I've wasted my money since it won't capture playback video.

I hope I'm just missing something and you can help see that it will, in fact, capture live video
Thanks,
Audioeditor
audioeditor
New User
New User

Re: Premiere elements won't capature video from tape

Postby Peru » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:38 pm

Welcome to Muvipix. :meet:

I use these for Firewire capture:
WinDV http://windv.mourek.cz/
HDVSplit https://www.videohelp.com/software/HDVSplit
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:48 am

Premiere Elements hasn't captured from tape since version 12, nearly a decade ago. Beyond that, very few computers include a FireWire port for capturing from miniDV and HDV.

You don't say if you're trying to capture a digital format, like HDV or miniDV, or if you're trying to digitize VHS. But in either case your best bet at this point in Diamond VC500, available from Amazon for about $40. This device captures video over a USB connection and the video it captures is editable with any video editor, including Premiere Elements.

I use a similar device and I've created tutorials for using it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby audioeditor » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:46 am

What about cropping the picture on all four sides like Premiere Pro does? I was told Elements would do that also, but I can't see any effect controls that would allow that. I like to crop off the head switching noise and the black sides due to incorrect horizontal blanking on VHS tapes. An easy job in PPro and you can even store the preset.
audioeditor
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:56 pm

Should be the Transform Effect > Crop - Controlled just like in Premiere Pro. After adding the effect to your clip you can right click on the applied effect and select Save Preset. At least that's the way is in version 14, hope things haven't changed much.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Premiere Elements 2020