They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Importing iPhone X Portrait Photos into PSE 20 Organizer

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2020

Importing iPhone X Portrait Photos into PSE 20 Organizer

Postby HammerKing » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi everyone,
This is driving me slightly crazy!
When I take a photo on my iPhone X in 'Portrait' mode, more often than not, I get something I'm happy with. However, when importing into Elements Organizer via lightening cable using the Photo Downloader, it separates the image into two files (1x jpeg + 1xHEIC). How do I tie these two files together to keep the original portrait effect?
I'm hoping for a simple solution, because I've built up quite a few of these in 2019 and have only just realised I had this problem.
The screenshots below are simply representative of a test. Please ignore the poor quality of the test shots below; hopefully good enough to evidence the problem I reference.
Thanks in advance
Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:tx:

mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 on MacBook Pro (Apple M1 Max)
Elements Organizer 22 version 20.0
HammerKing
New User
New User

Re: Importing iPhone X Portrait Photos into PSE 20 Organizer

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:20 pm

Apple is now using the HEIF format and for image quality it has has a higher depth than JPEG. As HEIF uses a 16-bit deep color, while the JPEG is only 8-bit which is smaller by at least two-fold. You might consider not converting but....

To convert Use HEIC to JPG converter
Download CopyTrans HEIC for Windows:
Install the program.
Open a folder containing your iPhone made HEIC photos
Select a photo you want to convert to JPEG. ...
That's it!

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby HammerKing » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi Sidd,
Thanks for the quick reply. It may be my technical ineptitude, but I’m not sure you’ve answered my question?
I’m losing the depth created by iOS layering two photos to give a portrait effect (which I want), but can only seem to import the two files separately.
I’ve read what you’ve written below a couple of times, but I don’t see how conversion of the HEIC to JPEG is going to give me the one picture in Portrait mode I’m looking for? Additionally, apologies if it was lost by being in the signature but I’m on MAC not Windows.
I just want the Portrait photo from my phone/Mac without it being split into two files. Does that make sense?

Kind regards

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

HammerKing
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:27 am

From the apple website:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022#working

The depth map for the portrait effect is embedded in the heic image files. Converting to jpeg will not keep the portrait effect.

When you transfer the photos, you have to download them without converting the heic files to jpegs.

When you import HEIF or HEVC media from an attached iOS device to Photos,
You can change this import behavior in iOS 11 or later. Go to Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted to JPEG or H.264 when importing.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby HammerKing » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 pm

sidd finch wrote:From the apple website:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022#working

The depth map for the portrait effect is embedded in the heic image files. Converting to jpeg will not keep the portrait effect.

When you transfer the photos, you have to download them without converting the heic files to jpegs.

When you import HEIF or HEVC media from an attached iOS device to Photos,
You can change this import behavior in iOS 11 or later. Go to Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted to JPEG or H.264 when importing.

Sidd

Hi Sidd,

So I changed the setting on my iPhone to 'keep originals', but Elements 20 photo downloader still picks up / shows me a JPEG & HEIC file rather than one HEIC. Seemingly makes no difference. Any other thoughts?

In Mac Photos (On MacBook) there are two options to export as follows where the results don't make sense to me.
Export Option 1: File>Export>Unmodified Original
Using this option just provides me with one regular (not portrait effect) file/photo
Export Option 2: File>Export>Export Photo
Using this option converts the HEIC files to JPEG and more than quadruples the file size, but DOES maintain the 'Portrait' effect. The downside here is that all metadata is reset to the date/time of the conversion, losing the original.

Worse case scenario, I could use option 2, but multiplied by the number of photos I have like this, I really don't want to manually update metadata.

Thanks & regards

Neil

HammerKing
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:53 am

Sounds like Option 2 is what you want but....... I could not find any "free" metadata batch editors. I did find the following but it does cost so that might be a limitation...

https://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Premiere Elements 2020