They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Camera & TV, New questions

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

New Camera & TV, New questions

Postby JamesA » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:28 pm

Christmas brought a new AOC 32" HD TV and a Panasonic HDC TM-700 camcorder this year. I can't believe how great the picture is on HD TV even with only using broadcast. I've been a little slow to upgrade. It's pretty impressive how great the 1080P video from the camcorder is when running through an HDMI cable to the TV. I hope to get some great videos of my kids and share them in HD with extended family. The next upgrade will be building a new computer that will be able to deal with producing the HV videos.

What would be best way to share HD videos with extended family at extended distances?

Blu-ray?

Thanks
James
JamesA
New User
New User

Re: New Camera & TV, New questions

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:41 pm

I am finding that most of my extended family do not have Blue Ray players yet.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:48 am

TreeTopsRanch wrote:I am finding that most of my extended family do not have Blue Ray players yet.

Same with my family. I send them SD versions instead.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bobby » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:12 am

Me too. I use DVDs as most of the family does not yet have BD - I don't even yet have a BD writer.

One alternative, at least for smaller videos, is to use an online service such as Vimeo. Some of the newer players, or external boxes like the Roku box sold by Netflix, have the capability of accessing Vimeo and to stream HD (well, 720p anyhow) video. I am not actively doing this right now due to some family security issues that need to be resolved, but plan to do that in the future if I can.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:15 pm

Yeah, there's certainly nothing wrong with recording in HD; one of these days everyone will have the capability of playing the media and you'll have the much greater quality. But in the meantime DVDs are the way to distribute. Nearly everyone can play them.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby JamesA » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Happy New Year to all and thanks for the replies.

I read the post about the Patriot Box Office and wondered if that might be a slick way to accomplish this. If everyone in the family had a PBO.
Could HD video be uploaded on my web server and then family could download it and play it through the PBO?

I've never uploaded any videos to YouTube or Vimeo and don't really want to share movies of my kids with the entire world. I guess I'm under the impression that the videos could be viewed by anyone online and not really suitable to play on a big screen HD TV. Maybe I'm wrong here.

James
JamesA
New User
New User

Postby Bobby » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:10 pm

James, you can secure Vimeo videos by limiting them only to your contact list - and you then control the list. That is what we do with our family videos. BUT, then they can't access via streaming. I am thinking about that.

I make very limited use of my PBO - local stuff only. Check the website

http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/d ... 95&type=20

for info on whether it can stream from your server over the 'net.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Hi Def