They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Project settings for Sanyo Xacti FH1

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

Project settings for Sanyo Xacti FH1

Postby Koen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:18 am

When my DV camera refused to communicate with my computer I bought a camera that looked interesting and not too expensive: Xanyo Xacti FH1, file extension .mp4, format MPEG-4AVC/H.264 (not full AVCHD I read afterwards). On my W7 quadcore desktop computer nearly all video players show the .pm4 files as well as my eeePad tablet. My VIsta laptop most of the time has problems showing these files.
When I first filmed in 1920x1080, 60p and tried to import it in Premiere Elements (a previous version) it crashed immediately. Considering the fact I have to burn to Dvd (no bluray yet) I changed to a lower resolution: 1280 x 720, but... there is no choice on my camera for Pal or NTSC. Only on the output side I could choose PAL for television (I live in Europe). Only 60, 30, or very high fps with low resolutions to choose from, no 25 or 50. In attachment all possibilities of my camera.
So simple question: what to take as project settings? And second question what would happen if I record at e.g. 600 fps (192x108px) and what settings then in Premiere?
For the moment I choose AVCHD Lite 720p 25 (same size as recorded but not same fps), but Premiere does not agree. When I accept to have it adapted Premiere changes the project settings to: DSLR, 29,979fps, 1920x1080?! And my quality goes down.
What to do? Not accept what Premiere proposes? When I burn to Dvd in Pal, what happens with the excess frames? By the way, when I accept or not, there is no red line.
Best is to convert to DV (I read Steve's book), but wouldn't that be the same problem (30 vs 25 fps)?
Or have I to buy a new camera :) ?
Koen
New User
New User

Re: Project settings for Sanyo Xacti FH1

Postby Koen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:35 am

It is not a reply, it is an addition.
I had checked the codec used by my camera and these are the results:
Gspot: codec: avc1, codec status undetermined, name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, (I added a video example - oops, big file)
For MediaIndo see attachment.
Regards, Koen
Koen
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:39 am

Unfortunately, the camcorder isn't such a good fit for Premiere Elements. Hopefully future versions of the program will accommodate it better. But, at the time of this last version's development, MP4s were considered point-and-load-to-YouTube-or-Facebook video.

For now, your best bet (assuming you've got version 10) is the DSLR 1920x1080p project settings.

Some of these cams shoot in a number of different resolutions, so make sure your selecting resolution matches your selected project settings. The settings I've recommended assume you're shooting Full HD.

An even better format may be HD-SHQ, which should work pretty well with the Flip Mino HD settings.

But there is no exact fit. You'll just have to ignore the program's attempts to switch formats and render often as you work. Unfortunately, at least with the preset capabilities of the program, you're working against the grain.

Hope that helps somewhat though! Welcome to Muvipix!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Koen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:47 am

Tanks for quick reaction. Since my first try with 60fps a few years ago I always use HD-SHQ (1280 x 720) as I explained in the first message I sent.
I will try with settings for Flip Mino HD.
The intention is not HD, because I burn to Dvd (720 x 576,PAL). But I'm looking for a way to make presentations and this time keep HD (using laptop connected to TV with HDMI to show it), as long as most people don't have bluray. If I meet any problems I will post them.
Yes I use version 10 (I have all versions starting at 3).

Do you have any remarks on the fps difference (30 vs 25)?

Regards,
Koen
Koen
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:06 am

I don't believe there is a Flip Mino HD setting for 25 fps, so I'd stick with 30 (unless your program allows otherwise).
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Koen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:40 pm

No, only 30, but what I record is at 30 fps. I use the same program as you do (mine is in Dutch but that's the only difference). Only the output to Dvd would be 25 fps.

If I buy a new camera, what would I have to look at certainly (living in a PAL area and wanting to be able to film in SD and HD)? The price is not very important, but I am not a professional. Maybe difficult for you to do, but some examples (brands, types, ...) would be nice.

A friend of mine is attending a course on Premiere Elements. The guy (a young one) told best is to buy and use a DSLR now to take video. I was very surprised as I understood from you and your book this is not the case and I think I read somewhere the sensor could become too hot when filming a long time. What to believe?
Koen
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:12 pm

The best camcorders for creating video to edit in Premiere Elements are practically "obsolete" by today's standards because they're tape-based: miniDV and HDV. But they're still my preferred format.

AVCHD camcorders are everywhere and are probably the best consumer camcorders on the market now. They're a great format for shooting hi-def video. However, editing this video can demand a pretty powerful computer.

DSLRs do shoot very good video -- but only the higher end cameras. You don't want to try to edit MJPEG AVIs or MOVs. The Canon EOS HD Series (the 5D or 7D -- not the Rebel models) are very good for shooting editable video -- but they can cost twice as much as an AVCHD camcorder or more (starting at around $2000)!

My personal preferences for camcorder brands, in order of preference, are Sony, Canon and Panasonic.

Hope that helps!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:36 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:My personal preferences for camcorder brands, in order of preference, are Sony, Canon and Panasonic.

FWIW my order of preference is Sony, Panny, Canon (mainly based on my experience with my first miniDV camera that was a Canon and a disappointment).

My present camera is about five or so years old and is a Sony HVR-A1 which is more than adequate for my needs. I will likely replace it when miniDV tapes are no longer available :lol: .
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Hi Def