They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HLG - Hybrid Log Gamma

Discussions about High Definition Television, Blu-Ray, HD DVD and other high definition DVD formats.

HLG - Hybrid Log Gamma

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 am

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/h ... it-2947378

I think I need a dictionary of acronyms!

HGL is a new one for me. Anyone have any thoughts about it?
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: HLG - Hybrid Log Gamma

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Sometimes I think they invent the vocabulary faster than they invent the actual technology.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:47 pm

If you were going to buy a new HDTV that had HDR capability, you might want to get one that could support or be firmware upgraded to support HLG provided it didn't cost an arm and a leg to do so. HLG is definitely not a show stopper right now -- I haven't heard of anyone broadcasting HLG content yet. But, it will be coming.

HLG is designed to increase the dynamic range of live broadcasts and works mainly in the lighter portions of the picture. HLG content should be able to distinguish subtle tone difference in the highlights that otherwise would be burned out and indistinguishable. It's not the same as HDR. I would consider it a nice to have feature in the future, but not one that I would pay a substantial premium for today.
Bob

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 am

But, it will be coming.

Bob,

Thanks for your opinion. I agree. It will be coming. Perhaps I feel that way since I gave up cable and the over the air TV images, even in HD, aren't as good.

A free upgrade for my camera allows videoing in HLG. Pany has a V-Log firmware available but I couldn't see paying $100 for it. To me it looks like using HLG will pretty much accomplish the same thing as V-Log.

No way Mr. B will spring for a 4k TV while our current HD model still breathes... but the way I see 4ks in shopping carts makes me believe the public will want higher def content. I have only seen the canned 4k footage in stores. It is astonishingly different from the HD TVs on display, side by side. There's definitely more difference than between HD and BluRay. I'd love to see 'regular' or even HD regular content on a 4k TV, but stores don't show that and I don't know anyone who has one.

Paz
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:10 am

Paz_Pazzaz wrote:No way Mr. B will spring for a 4k TV while our current HD model still breathes... but the way I see 4ks in shopping carts makes me believe the public will want higher def content.

Maybe the reason that you see shopping carts laden with 4K TVs is because the supply of standard HD TVs is rapidly diminishing. Why buy an HD TV when, for not a lot more, you can buy a 4K TV even though there is (in the UK anyway) a dearth of broadcast 4K TV content.

Just my twopennyworth. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chris B » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:24 am

I think there's a significant "bigger number is better" effect but as you've seen simply having "4K" is only part of the story. Given (for example) the minimum requirement for 4K streaming on Netflix is 25Mb/s broadband I doubt many will ever display 4K content.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 am

Chris and John make good points.

Customer demand is certainly a large part of the equation. Stores don't stock a lot off stuff that doesn't sell and manufacturers don't make a lot of money making things that people don't buy. 4K content still lags, but the technology has matured to the point that the price point attracts the main stream buyer who wants to future proof their investment. Why wouldn't you want a 4K set if you didn't have to pay a premium to get it. Especially since people tend to hold on to their TV sets a long time.

I now have a 4K TV. I'm lucky that my Internet connection is greater than 50 Mb/s. I don't stream very much over the Internet, but when I do, the 4K image quality is noticeably better than 1080p. 1080p content is as good looking as that seen on my other native 1080p HDTVs.

I can also stream 4K or 1080p video through my local home network from an external hard drive attached to my WiFi router. Any device that supports dlna streaming can access the drive and play the videos.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:01 am

Chris and John make good points.

Yep. I'm not familiar with average bandwidth speeds in various areas of the world. I currently have 60 Mbps and my cable company keeps bugging me to exchange my current router for a 100 Mbs one. No extra charge for either the new modem or the faster service. I'll get around to it one day. It's a bit of a drive, 20 - 30 miles each direction.

but when I do, the 4K image quality is noticeably better than 1080p. 1080p content is as good looking as that seen on my other native 1080p HDTVs.

Good to hear!!!

I have a 4k monitor for my computer. When I set up for 4k images the text is tiny, so I'm not taking advantage of the highest resolution. Does your TV automatically change resolution depending on the size of the incoming content?
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:38 pm

4K and HD content both display full screen.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks, Bob. Good to know you don't have to change settings all the time!
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Hi Def