They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Train Kept A Rollin

Talk about this new technology.

Train Kept A Rollin

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:34 am

A couple of years back I went to our local History Park and shot some video of an old restored train. I thought it might be an interesting re-visit to go back and try the 360 camera with a long selfie stick. I hope you enjoy it. Comments always appreciated.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Train Kept A Rollin

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:20 pm

Another great vid from Sidd. I would love to have that brass bell atop that engine, for my garden.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:09 am

Hey, that was great Sidd! I really liked the opening shot, which isn't to take away from anything else. There's just something about those machines...
::CLAP:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:51 am

I would love to have that brass bell atop that engine

Thank you for the kind words TreeTops.That bell is pretty cool and I would not mind having that whistle too. Good way to scare the crows out of the backyard.... lol

There's just something about those machines...

I so much agree. Even the small trains are huge and they look so cool too. One interesting thing I found that I did not expect was that the train wheels are not attached to the train on the axels but at the ends of the wheels. And an added bonus was that since it has been so rainy all the dust has been washed off the train which made it look like it could be fired up at any moment.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:17 am

At the History Park where the train is located the outdoor museum is designed to appear as a small US town might have in the early 1900s. The 32 historic buildings and other landmarks have either been moved from their original San Jose locations or are represented by replicas.

In March one of the Victorian Houses caught fire (The Nelson-DeLuz House was built about 1905 and moved to History Park in 1987 and restored).

As I was there to record the train, I also recorded the burnt building. I am sure Ed can appreciate this video... no blossoms.... :tup:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:16 pm

My kind of video. The fireman must have got there pretty quick for it not to spread more.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:18 am

Speaking of trains, this is a fun thing to do if you live in Maryland, we have taken it before when our kids were younger, and plan on taking the oldest grandson later this Spring - https://wmsr.com

Fun fact, this train rain 30-40 yards from the house I grew up in in the country. It was always busy day and night bringing coal from Western Maryland to Sparrows Point steel mills in Baltimore. The house would shake when it went past. We had an out building that my Dad called the 'bunk house' with a bunk bed set and couch. My brothers and I, when in Elementary and Middle school, would live in it from Spring to early Fall, after which my Mother would let us back in the house. Sometimes I thought it was coming down at night when the train came through.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:49 am

That's sad about the house. Makes you wonder how a fire would start in a place that wasn't even occupied and didn't have electricity. Kind of suspicious.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:53 am

ed wrote:Speaking of trains, this is a fun thing to do if you live in Maryland...

Got to love those railroad excursions. Lots of great historic railroads around the country.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:07 pm

That's sad about the house. Makes you wonder how a fire would start in a place that wasn't even occupied and didn't have electricity. Kind of suspicious.

Looks like the Arson team are investigating the fire, but a sad end to such a cool old home that was restored. Looks like it was the smoke alarm from the Pasetta House next door that triggered the San Jose Fire Department response.

I would love to go on a railroad excursion but the ones operated in the area are exceptionally expensive. They do have a narrow gauge railroad tour that was used for logging the redwood trees in the 1800's but it is all open air.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:05 am

Well if you want to enjoy travels on vintage/heritage steam railways why not use this as an excuse to visit the UK - we seem to be inundated with preserved railways. :)

http://www.heritage-railways.com/map.php
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:25 pm

Wow John you are right there are a lot. Something to add to my bucket list. I'll have to look for a train that stops off in Midsomer in the town of Causton and see how Barnaby is getting along.... :hyst:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:18 am

Sidd, you forgot about the Hogwart's Express that leaves from platform 9 and 3/4 at Kings Cross station in London. :hyst:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:54 pm

Sad the houses burned. The museum town set up would be nice to visit.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:52 am

The museum town set up would be nice to visit

It is kind of cool to to walk around the museum. Especially since everything in there is so old. A lot of the local schools take kids on field trips there to see what it was like to live back then. Some of the houses are even restored inside and they give docent tours too. And best of all it is free to attend. In case you work up a hunger they have an ice cream shop where you can buy ice-cream.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to 360 Video