They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

insta360 one x2 - At the Rosegarden

Talk about this new technology.

insta360 one x2 - At the Rosegarden

Postby sidd finch » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:32 am

Finally got some footage to share of the insta360 camera. It is a lot of fun to use but a little different than a traditional camera. All shots are with the camera and a monopod. I only raised and lowered the monopod as I walked around. The software is doing all the rotations and camera movements. Comments always welcome.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: insta360 one x2 - At the Rosegarden

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:37 am

Hmmm...... :no:
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:33 pm

This is a whole different concept in 360, Sidd. For one thing, it's shot with a drone, isn't it? Or is it shot with a gimbal?

And second, although it's shot in 360, you actually produce it in standard widescreen and use the 360 footage to determine which camera angle you use.

Is this unusual or is this the more typical way to use this type of footage?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:49 am

Thank you Steve,

For one thing, it's shot with a drone, isn't it? Or is it shot with a gimbal?

Neither, all shot with the camera and a long monopod. The camera has what they call "Flowstate" stabilization which is very similar to the GoPro's hyper-smooth stabilization. There is no need for any gimbals.

And second, although it's shot in 360, you actually produce it in standard widescreen and use the 360 footage to determine which camera angle you use.

This is one of the interesting aspects of the camera. Imagine the camera is in a translucent sphere. Through key framing you can position the 16x9 view anywhere within the sphere. Yes you can output a traditional 360 degree video or as I have done is keyframe the position of the shot.

Is this unusual or is this the more typical way to use this type of footage?

I think it is the usual way to use the camera, and what makes the shots so interesting. You really only have to place the camera in proximity to what you want to record and then through the software keyframe your final video.

There are additional nuances but this is the summary of how it works.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Some weird distortions, and I can't say I see any point to the "globe" effect. Maybe I just don't get it. There are a couple of YouTube creators that I follow who have been experimenting with this recently. One says he has a "beta" of a camera that he's trying out. Nice selfie at 00:38. :hyst:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:50 am

Some weird distortions, and I can't say I see any point to the "globe" effect.

The distortions have to do with the stitch line of the video where the 2 halves come together. Also the movement was keyframed a bit awkwardly. The globe effect is called tiny planet and depending on how its done can kind of look neat but I think my skill set in that area is a bit lacking. But I have see a few examples that are pretty neat.

Overall still a lot to learn but this is a fun camera to play around with.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to 360 Video