They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Insta360 Studio

Talk about this new technology.

Insta360 Studio

Postby sidd finch » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:44 am

I recently purchased a Samsung Gear360 (2016 edition) camera and have found that their Action Director editing software leaves a lot to be desired. After a little bit of experimenting I discovered that the Insta360 studio software will stitch and edit the Samsung footage without any issue.

I just wish that Creative cloud was not so darn expensive that I simply could just use the Premiere plugin's.... (ahhh.. verbal lament)

So now what seems to work out pretty well is:

1.To record on the Samsung,
2. Stitch and convert to equirectangular video in the insta 360 studio software.
3. Edit in DaVinci Resolve 15.
4. Inject metadata to make youtube/vimeo know it is 360 video.

I also discovered that you cannot mix 360 footage and non-360 footage in the same movie.

But all in all it is a rather fun kind of video to record.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Insta360 Studio

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm still trying to find the best content to take advantage of the technology.

Aside from gimmicky movies (driving, parachuting, riding a roller coaster or just showing a scene, like the Pyramids), I'm just not sure where else to go.

But if anyone can come up with a clever use of 360, I'm sure Sidd can.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:05 pm

It seems like the methodology is different to me. Instead of tight cuts and focus on the story, you almost have to give more opportunity for the user to scroll around and have a look.

Almost like " this was what was going on while I was telling my story" kind of video.

It would be a pretty cool way to record your grandson while he is playing at the park or in the backyard. All that energy would make for a good clip. For me I have tried mowing the lawn in 360. It was interesting because a wasp spotted the camera and came and landed on the lens befor flying off. That was kind of cool.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:11 am

Yeah, 360 video is an entirely different mindset. Instead of forcing the viewer to see what the content creator deems important, you are immersing the viewer in the scene and letting them experience the story in their own way. You can use various cues, auditory and other, to draw attention to significant action to move the story line along, but the user is no longer a passive entity. You also have to decide whether the viewer is a participant, in the middle of the action, or an observer -- the so called fly on the wall (or floor, or ceiling , etc.). This really works better as VR viewed in a headset. It's not quite the same feel viewed in browser even if you can pan around in the image.

Another thing you can do is take your 360 footage and export in standard non-360 video format. Why would you do that? You don't have to aim the camera, just shoot and keyframe the point of view in post. Insta360 Studio calls this FreeCapture mode. Sidd's Grandson running around is good example of where it would be useful. From experience, it's difficult to keep the grandkids in the frame when they are running around and playing hard. Imagine being able to keyframe the point of view of the grandkid's position and export a conventional video with perfect tracking. Or, keyframe on the approach, landing, and takeoff of that Wasp on the Lawnmower.

360 stills are a lot easier to work with. The whole point there is to look around.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Another thing you can do is take your 360 footage and export in standard non-360 video format. Why would you do that? You don't have to aim the camera, just shoot and keyframe the point of view in post. Insta360 Studio calls this FreeCapture mode.

This looks interesting. I am going to try to do that this weekend.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby MrGrunthunter » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:07 am

I also have that cute little golf ball camera but I don't use it for video. I manage a fishing camp where about 40 of my members have camps consisting of various size mobile homes and a few travel trailers. I use the camera for when one of them wants to sell their camp. I set the camera in the middle of each room of their camp and take a photo. The spaces are so confined that you just can't back up far enough with a standard camera. I can post the photos on our camp facebook page so they can be viewed in the 360 mode. I don't consider the video from that camera usable due to the poor resolution. The Insta360 One-X camera appears to have much better resolution in video mode so I am on the verge of upgrading to one of those. Yeah, it's kind of a 'Unique Toy' for video use but I have found it useful for capturing still photos for now.
Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Instld RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0
MrGrunthunter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:21 am

360 does seem a bit more utilitarian than for storytelling. Unless the creator wants to always be the story. I am just not that narcissistic :ha:

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to 360 Video