They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New 360 camera from Inst360

Talk about this new technology.

New 360 camera from Inst360

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:32 am

Insta360 has just released a new combination 360 degree and 180 degree 3D camera. The camera folds. When folded, the camera shoots 360 video and stills. When unfolded, it shoots 180 3D VR video and stills. Called the EVO, the specs are similar to the Insta360 One X I recently purchased.

Bob

Re: New 360 camera from Inst360

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:43 am

Pretty fascinating the way this technology is evolving. At that price, plus what you could have in accessories, including a VR headset, it’s not in a price range where the average person would buy just for the novelty and experiment. What worries me is how fast a unit bought today will become obsolete. That’s so yesterday.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:07 pm

I really think that is a pretty cool idea but I agree with your comments Dave. It is hard to get invested in something because the technology keeps changing and updating. There is a point where I just like to make silly movies about silly stuff.

but..... I think a 360 macro camera would be a cool way to discover that ant colony in the back yard..... :hyst:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:47 pm

Stereoscopic photography has been around a very long time. Actually, the first stereoscopic viewer predates photography and used drawings. Of course, once photography was in use, very early on it was used to create 3D photos -- stereoscopic Daguerreotypes exist.

Stereoscopic photography hasn't died out. There are National and International associations and clubs devoted to the subject. And, there is an annual stereoscopic convention in Ohio. And, that doesn't even count the VR crowd. The point I'm making is that even though it is not mainstream, there is still a lot of interest and a sizable market. It's a niche, but a big one. Especially when you add in the VR content creators.

My own interest in stereoscopic photography began in childhood playing with a Viewmaster (remember those). When I was a teen, I bought a used Stereo Realist 3D camera that used 35mm film. You can still buy slide mounts and viewers for that too. I stopped using it mainly because I stopped developing my own film. I like natural perspective and don't care for the exaggerated and corny 3D effects you see in 3D movies and TV so I never bought into that. I got the Insta360 One X because I do use Equirectangular 360 degree images for backgrounds and reflection maps in 3D modeling software. Creating those by taking and stitching 360 degree panoramas is a lot of work. Now, I can just snap a shutter. I'm also interested in what's called "overcapture" or "reframing" where you create and export a standard 16:9 movie from the full 360 degree footage while keyframing the point of view. Anyone who has ever tried to capture a movie of twin two-year-olds running around can appreciate how useful that can be.

The cost isn't that far out of line when you compare it to, say, a GoPro Hero Black which is pretty much in the same ball park (and, when the 360 camera is used as an action camera, has a similar target demographic). And, there are cheaper 360 degree cameras if you just want to play. There are also much more expensive ones as well. I do have a VR headset, but, you don't need to use one, you can view 3d movies and images from this camera on your phone. I believe it comes with a cheap side by side 3D viewer for that purpose and there is an optional case that's similar in principle to lenticular 3D that lets you see the 3D images on your phone without a viewer -- iPhone now, Android later.

Technology is always changing. I've gone through SD, HD, and I'm currently at 4K video. I know that 8K is probably around the corner. At some point you have to decide: is this something I'm interested in and want to pursue. 4K has met my price and availability checkpoint and I've adopted it. 8K hasn't. In the meantime 4K is still improving and becoming more widely available.
Bob

Return to 360 Video