They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

GoPro 10

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2019

GoPro 10

Postby mqm0512@yahoo.com » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi all,
So I am not what you'd call tech savvy on cameras and editing, but I've learned a lot. Adobe Premiere Elements 2019 has been really usable for me with the GoPro 7 we have. We just purchased a GoPro 10 and when I tried to add that media to the project, I got an error that essentially said the format is not supported or I needed to download something called a Codec. I don't even understand enough to phrase the question correctly in Google search or YouTube to get and answer. Anybody with some tips? and remember, I'll need it dumbed down for a novice.

Thanks!
mqm0512@yahoo.com
New User
New User

Re: GoPro 10

Postby sidd finch » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:37 pm

Welcome to Muvipix.

GoPro is now using a codec called HEVC codec which offers better resolution and smaller file sizes. It is what the camera uses to get that 5k resolution and the 4k at 60 fps etc... that's the good news.

The challenge is that most of the older editing programs do not edit in HEVC which means you either need to use handbrake freeware to convert the footage or jump up to Premiere Elements 2021 which does support editing in HEVC. Just be aware that HEVC puts quite a drain on system resources of your computer so depending on the age of your computer there are a few things to consider.

I personally would not mess around trying to download a codec for an editing program that does not support HEVC.

SIdd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: GoPro 10

Postby Peru » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:45 pm

:meet:
I've nothing to add about your issue, but I would suggest that you change your username to something other than your email address so that you don't become a target for spambots trolling the internet.
Peru

Return to PRE version 2019