They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Reduce Photo size to within Safe Margin

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2019

Reduce Photo size to within Safe Margin

Postby abbaker2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:09 pm

[size=150]Back after a long, long time away.

I am using Photoshop 19 & PE 19 (Desktop Computer with Windows 10 Pro) to create a video of still photos.

Some of the photos extend beyond the outer safe margin.The bottom of the photo is cut off on the output DVD.

How do I reduce the size of the photo so that the entire photo is within the outer safe margin?
abbaker2

Re: Reduce Photo size to within Safe Margin

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:05 am

You really don't want the entire photo to fit inside the safe margin, abbaker. Just the important stuff in the photo. And any text or titles you add.

Your photo should fill your video frame -- at least as much as possible.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abbaker2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:54 am

Real problem is that the bottom Title that I added is cut off on the output DVD (16:9 screen). That's my real problem. I assumed that getting the photo within the outer safe margin would insure that the TV screen displays the entire photo.
The photo is in portrait dimensions. I am having similar problem with a landscape photo but not as bad.

How can I reduce the size of a photo using PE (preferably) or PhE to eliminate this problem?
abbaker2

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:39 pm

When you say "using PE" do you mean using Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements?

In any event, you can select the photo on your timeline in Premiere Elements and open the Applied Effects panel. On Applied Effects, open the Motion properties and decrease the scale.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abbaker2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:21 pm

Steve,

Thank you.

I never would have found that option on my own.
abbaker2

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:59 pm

Check your TV screen settings, too. It could be that your settings are affecting the viewed image size

The outer margin at 90% is called the Action Safe margin. In the days of analog tv, anything outside that margin was subject to being lost due to overscanning or being covered by the bezel. Anything important needed to be within that margin. The inner margin at 80% is called the Title Safe margin. Text needed to be placed within that margin, not because it was subject to being cropped off, but because the video quality near the edges of the CRT was originally so bad that it difficult to read anything placed there.

Modern digital TVs don't have the same problems as those analog sets, but it's still recommended to follow the safe margin guidelines. First, because digital tv settings can affect the display size effectively cropping off part of the image. And, second, if ever viewed on a mobile device, the screen aspect ratio may not match and viewing full screen could also crop off part of the image.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Return to PRE version 2019