They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

audio track frequently skips

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2019

audio track frequently skips

Postby mattwinn » Sat May 09, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi all, I hope all are faring well during these uncertain times. I am encountering frequent skips in the audio track. This is like what used to happen when your needle skipped back and forth on a stereo using a turntable with vinyl albums. Even when I record all in one take and have no cuts. Any ideas as to how to prevent or fix this would be great.
Thank you.
Matt
mattwinn

Re: audio track frequently skips

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 09, 2020 3:40 pm

My first thought is that the computer might be buffering. Are you using an editing program when this happens? If so what editing program. And what is the audio source.

Can you play the audio by itself from the file and not in the program?

Sorry questions always = more questions.... We'll Help though.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby mattwinn » Sat May 09, 2020 4:01 pm

I am just doing a narration on the voice track to go along with a series of film clips. I separated the voice just now from all the video and the audio is skipping as described.
I am worried my PC is not up to the tasks i am asking. While it is new i did not get it for editing and that is all I do on it now.
mattwinn

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 09, 2020 5:29 pm

If you can share your specs we can help you determine a course of action. If all else fails you might be able to record the audio on your smart phone and then import the audio.

My guess is that the commuter cannot handle what you are trying to do with it now.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby mattwinn » Sat May 09, 2020 5:54 pm

I think you are correct as i have had a host of problems lately. I use a Inspirion 3668 - i3 7100 CPU @3.9 Ghz. I am looking at (very quickly) going to a Dell G5 5990. I need to stop losing projects
and have lousy narration on projects i have spent hours on and are being distributed to a lot of colleagues. i am just unsure if the problem will be solved the upgrade.
mattwinn

Postby sidd finch » Sat May 09, 2020 8:02 pm

The G5 is an awesome machine and I doubt you would have any issues. But before you buy.....

The next step is to try and identify the break in the chain. Can you swap mics and see if the mic is the issue. Likewise add some pre-recorded audio and see if you have issues with the pre recorded stuff. Also are your audio drivers up to date. If you are using windows what version? Are you maintaining updates to the programs you are using.

In the short term resolving the problem is better than having to buy a new computer. Some additional users will jump on with additional insight to assist as well.

Sidd

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby mattwinn » Sun May 10, 2020 8:18 am

Thank you, Sidd. I think the play head is "skipping " and causing the issue. I switched mics and they seem to be OK. I just updated audio and display drivers. Other audio is not effected. One element I have never paid much attention to is when the timeline has different colors. I am now using 5 and 6 tracks (which is new for me) and I am getting both yellow and green colors.( Steve references this in Tutorial 2) I will need to learn more about that. I believe it is that the film was shot in something different than what it is now being edited in but I do not know what needs to be done. Is there a later tutorial that delves into it in greater detail. Thank you.
mattwinn

Postby sidd finch » Sun May 10, 2020 9:41 am

I think the play head is "skipping " and causing the issue.

Does this mean that the video camera play head is skipping? Are you using a tape based camcorder? Although a bit hard to find these days they still have camcorder head cleaning tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-AY-DVM ... 612&sr=8-2

Are you able to play the video in the camera and check for skipping?

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby mattwinn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:17 am

I deleted the audio and re did it and it appears to be working. I have had to do this before but it is becoming more frequent.
mattwinn

Postby mattwinn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:23 am

By the way, this morning I got a note that my membership renewed overnight. Just a quick note of thanks to everyone. Joining this group has been of great value.
I knew nothing about Adobe and film editing and took a shot with Elements and then Muvipix. I never thought I would get to the level I have reached and would not have gotten here without all of you at Muvipix as well as the forums and tutorials, (downloads etc) you provide.

Thank you again.

Matt
mattwinn

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 17, 2020 12:24 pm

A wonderful compliment to our entire community. Thanks, Matt!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon May 18, 2020 2:45 pm

That is so awesome to hear :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mattwinn » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Hi all and Happy Father's Day.
After I finish all my editing, I then add my voiceover. It is still chopping and skipping and I can not figure it out. If anyone has a clue that might help thank you in advance. Below is an example of what I do for the officials in Maryland. I hate sending out videos that have this audio issue. Thanks for any help. Also if you review any of these films and have any ideas to improve them I am all for any input. I am still new at this. As always, I much appreciate the best support team in the e world.
Thanks
matt

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ZASmsOhDoI
mattwinn

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:51 pm

Matt Check this out. It might be why you are having some issues.

Not sure if Elements has the same way to do this so a manual delete might be in order. This is accessed via a hidden file. We can help you access if the above mentioned way does not work.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Good possibility Sidd, great thinking :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE version 2019