They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

slowing and reversing multiple times

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2019

slowing and reversing multiple times

Postby mattwinn » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:53 pm

I review and evaluate film for basketball officials. In your average game there are about 46 times the whistle blows. 36 of those need no discussion. It is the other 10 that I really use some of the tools in premiere elements. It means being right 94% as opposed to 84%. Huge. I have reviewed intermediate part 2 and it has made things easier (time stretch and remapping). My current process is to copy the play in question 4 times. First, reviewing it in regular speed. Then slowing it way down, reversing it, playing it, and reversing it again and then playing it again. By doing this I am able to assess and point out that the whistle was correct or incorrect and more importantly why, and instruct as to how to get the correct position to get it right. Is there any way to speed up this process. Also is there a way to draw some type of arrow to help illustrate where to look on the film. I also use the zoom feature but I am still working on perfecting the zoom functionality, which will come in time. Thank you.
mattwinn

Re: slowing and reversing multiple times

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:55 am

mattwinn wrote:... is there a way to draw some type of arrow to help illustrate where to look on the film.

Search on Google for something like "Arrow on transparent background" and copy the image that you like best to your computer. Alternatively, if you have Photoshop Elements or similar photo editing software you can create an arrow image but make sure that you save it with a transparent background.

Then, using Effect Controls in Premier Elements, locate, rotate and resize the arrow image as necessary on the track above the video.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:07 am

You can also highlight the play with a spotlight, as we show you in this tutorial.

But I'm not clear what you're doing as far as slowing down and reversing the video goes, so I'm not sure I can recommend a more efficient way.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:01 am

Are you trying to do this in real time or is this something that you create after the fact to share with the officiating crews?

If I am understanding correctly I think that the easiest way might be to add the the same clip 4 separate time lines within the project.Then place the required effects on each individual time line. 1) First, reviewing it in regular speed. 2) Then slowing it way down, 3) reversing it, playing it, and 4) reversing it again and then playing it again.

Now you have 4 independent clips with each set of characteristics. When you have done this once (time consuming) you now keep this and use it as a template for future clips. To do this simply reduce the length of each clip so that is 5-10 seconds in length. When you add your new clip the the time line 4 times, on 4 different tracks you simply right click on the template clip and say copy. Then right click on one of the new clips and say paste effects only. So you now have a quick what to add the effects to each clip.

I am hoping that I explained this in a way that makes sense.... :ha:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby mattwinn » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:36 am

Oh My!! Excellent. I believe this will eliminate the need for any arrow as well as mutiple playback and reversing. With 25 games a week that is hours of saved time. Very cool.
A skilled craftsman must know his tools. ( I have many miles to go!)
Thank you
mattwinn

Postby mattwinn » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:45 am

Sidd - if I use your method also - do I always need 4 clips. I suspect i can keep the 4 track template and just delete the other two and save as new without changing the template. I am not doing it in real time. Sometimes I need only two.
mattwinn

Postby Peru » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am

I'm not currently using Premiere Elements, but Premiere Pro.

Premiere Pro allows you to right click on a clip and choose "replace with clip from bin" if you have a clip in the bin highlighted. All effects will be preserved.

Does Premiere Elements have the same capability?
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:11 pm

Sidd - if I use your method also - do I always need 4 clips. I suspect i can keep the 4 track template and just delete the other two and save as new without changing the template. I am not doing it in real time. Sometimes I need only two.

Agreed, Keep the template so you always have the 4 scenarios needed and just place new clips as needed. Also if you are rendering to some kind of output make sure you do not include your template porting in the render. You can select which portion of the timeline you want to render.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby mattwinn » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:03 am

Sidd,
Is there a video anywhere illustrating the process you describe for creating templates. I have never used multiple tracks and have not been able to accomplish the task as you describe. I am sure I am missing a simple part of the process. Also, are you the former NY Mets baseball phenom or just the same name.
Or a nom de plume.
mattwinn

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 am

Sorry I was not very clear. Once you have a project set up with all the scenarios you need in terms of slowing down reversing etc, that file becomes your template. So save that project file with the words template in the file name.

Next time you need to create a new set of video open your template file add your video and now save the file with a new project name. Now you have 2 files your template file and your new finished file. Next project open your template fil you created and add video and follow above.

In a sense you are creating all the scenarios you need so you do not have to go and recreate every effect each time you start a new file.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:13 pm

mattwinn wrote:Sidd,
Also, are you the former NY Mets baseball phenom or just the same name.

I had to look that one up on Google. :CS:
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:27 pm

lol.... That is me, one in the same. Although the money I have earned playing the French horn has allowed me to now afford boots for both feet instead of just one. :fg:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby mattwinn » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:11 pm

Sidd, I get the concept and will see if I can get it. That method will save me hours(put another way, I will be able to do more games per week and these guys want a next day turnaround.) if I can accomplish it. So far I have not been able to do it. By the way, not too many remember the horn and the boot. Do you recall that one reporter or team actually had a Finch sighting claiming they saw him.
Thank you for your help.

Matt
mattwinn

Return to PRE version 2019