They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PRE 2019 no audio after importing video

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2019

PRE 2019 no audio after importing video

Postby Bren » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 am

Hello Everyone,

I've just begun using the Premiere Elements 2019 but every time I import my videos they import with no sound. :( I use a laptop with Windows 7 and record using a Canon Camcorder Vixia HF R30. The video sound is fine upon loading onto the computer but disappears once I've imported it into the editor. Please help and thank you!!! :)

Bren~
Bren
New User
New User

Re: PRE 2019 no audio after importing video

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi Bren, Welcome to Muvipix !! :meet:

Can you tell us a little about your computer, how you are getting the video from the camera to the computer and then how you are adding the files to your Premiere project? That will help a great deal in attempting to help you figure this out :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm

The issue is likely that your video is recorded with Dolby AC3 sound, a format no longer supported by Premiere Elements. (It was supported in versions prior to version 2018.) Windows 10 offers the necessary support for this audio but Windows 7 does not.

To confirm if that's the case, open your camcorder's video in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy and paste the report (especially the audio report) generated by the program to this forum.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bren » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi Steve, thank you for the reply! I did as you suggested and it looks like you are correct! Here's the text I copied. So, do I need to switch to W10 or is there another way around this? :(

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital
Codec ID : 129
Duration : 10 min 36 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -15 ms
Stream size : 19.4 MiB (3%)
Service kind : Complete Main
Bren
New User
New User

Postby Bren » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi Chuck, thank you for the nice 'welcome'! I appreciate your input regarding this issue. Looks as though Steve is correct. Thanks so much for your help!!
Bren
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:12 pm

You have three options, Bren. It's up to you which you decide to go with.
1) Upgrade your operating system to Windows 10.
2) Use version 15 or earlier of Premiere Elements to edit this video.
3) Convert each of your source videos to 1920x1080 MP4s with constant frame rate and uncompressed audio using the great, free download Handbrake.

Advantages and challenges to each option, of course. But we'll be glad to help you through whichever you choose.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bren » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi Steve, I guess it's always good to have options. ;)

We will probably upgrade to Windows 10 asap but in the meantime I have a few vids I really need to get posted as soon as possible. I worked SO hard on them and the thought of having to film them again is daunting to me. It's definitely going to be a bit before we can get my system upgraded. Would you please explain to me how to use Handbrake and what the disadvantages would be in going that route?

Here's what's happening to my videos- the camcorder keeps randomly splitting my single videos into 2-4 different videos and I've no idea why, though the length of the video clearly has something to do with it. The two videos I need to edit were each supposed to be single videos but the camcorder ended up making them each into several different cuts/videos. I don't have editing software that allows me to connect them and make them one video again...if that makes sense? Is there another way I would be able to combine the videos? That's the main reason I needed PRE to begin with. I have to ability to do some simple edits using just the YouTube editor but that doesn't allow me to combine two videos. Ugh...hope this makes sense. Not sure how well I'm articulating this.

I sure do appreciate you taking the time to walk me through all of this. If it weren't for this forum and for you I would still be very lost. I really, really, REALLY appreciate you and your knowledge and that you are willing to share it with me!!!!!!!! :)
Bren
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:46 am

Bren, you're correct about the file length being the cause of the camcorder splitting your video. When using converters to merge I had some trouble with video quality and with losing some frames at the merge points. If you try Handbrake and have any problems here's an option that uses no other software and there's no conversion involved, so it leaves your video in its original condition and quality. I use this for .mts video from my Canon camcorder. Of course this won't solve your original audio problems, but it may solve your broken-apart-video issues. This uses a command line command from Windows that concatenates files. Although this will have no effect on your original files, use copies just for safety.

Press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run box. Type in "cmd.exe" without the quotes and click on OK. A command window will open that will look similar to this:

Command Window.jpg

Enter this command line carefully, as it will fail if there are any mistakes. Spaces in the correct places are important.

copy /b path\video1name.mts+path\video2name.mts+path\video3name.mts outputpath\mergedfilename.mts

In the line above, substitute "path\video1name.mts" with the full path and file name including the extension. Do this for each file that your want to concatenate, with a + sign between each, until you have them all named. My example used 3 filenames, but you can do more or fewer as needed. In the line above, substitute "outputpath\merged_filename.mts" with the desired location and filename of your concatenated file. When everything looks right, press the Enter key. This may take a while, so allow it time to complete and then look for the output file in your destination path.

Here's an example of how this command might look in the command window if I was doing it on my own computer. Note that long lines wrap in the window, but these are not line breaks or spaces. It may look a little intimidating, but if you break it down it's exactly the same form as the shorter example above. Note that in this example all files were on my E: drive but your path can include any of your drives:

Concatenate command.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 am

Great notes, Dave! (Though I would be curious which model of camcorder you have and how you're getting the video to your computer's hard drive. )

That said, the second half of this tutorial will show you how to convert your video using HandBrake.
https://muvipix.com/products.php?search ... =0&btn.y=0
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:17 am

It's a VIXIA HF G10. I'm using the Canon Pixela transfer utility, although if I recall the SD can be accessed through Windows Explorer and the files can be transferred that way. Pixela remembers what files have already been transferred, and it's a little more convenient. Why do you ask?

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bren » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:25 am

Oh wow, so much GREAT information to wake up to this morning! Thank you Dave for that detailed info. It intimidates me but I'm up for the challenge.

Steve, I will definitely give HandBrake a try too! Thank you!!

Thank you both SO much! Will let you know how it goes!!! :)
Bren
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 am

Steve, I suspect you're wondering about the file size limit. I don't know which models of Canons have this fault, but I know that mine and others have a 2GB file size limit. When recording continuous video for extended periods it will automatically split the video into separate files. I think it works out to a little over 9 minutes of 1920x1080 AVCHD. What seems to happen is that when these files are placed end to end in an NLE a little audio comes up missing, and I think a few frames of video. This was very disappointing to me when I first learned of it (and it still is). However, I did discover the concatenate workaround. Using that method the video stitches together seamlessly and without loss. I have no idea why. Poor engineering on Canon's part.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bren » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Dave, so will this also be an issue for me when I combine my split videos in the PRE editor? I want to try your resolution formula you mentioned earlier but it's proving a little complicated for me. :(
Bren
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Maybe. It’s only a problem if you need every bit of the video and audio right at the join of the two segments. In most cases a little creative editing will solve the problem.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bren » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Ok, that makes sense, Dave. I should be able to make that manageable! Thank you again for the help!! :)
Bren
New User
New User

Next

Return to PRE version 2019