They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

I may have found a "hidden" feature in Organizer 2018

Talk about the Elements Organizer (all versions)

I may have found a "hidden" feature in Organizer 2018

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Although it does not compare to Steve's discovery of a fabulous method for creating slide shows using what he calls a "hidden" feature of PRE 2018 -- a nifty tool in the Project Assets tab -- I may have discovered what Adobe intends to be the fastest method for opening the O. It's designed for users, like me, who create a Custom Location for their Organizer 2018 database file.

Before clicking the db file.JPG

Note that the O icon above the word Open appeared only after I clicked on the db file. Clicking here causes the O to open pronto!

After clicking the db file.JPG

:hat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: I may have found a "hidden" feature in Organizer 2018

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:21 am

Interesting find, George. But is this more a hidden feature of Windows rather than the Organizer?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:23 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Interesting find, George. But is this more a hidden feature of Windows rather than the Organizer?

I, too, was wondering about that.

In any case, whereas double-clicking the db file always causes the program to open very slowly, clicking the newly-appeared button that exhibits the O's icon causes the program to begin opening immediately. Perhaps it's a joint collaboration?

What I find most interesting is that the button appears when clicking specifically on the nearby db file. This suggests the possibility that Adobe's developers actually anticipated it to be common for users to choose to use the Custom Location option for placement of their catalogs (the db files).

Coming soon! I can hardly wait to provide you and other members with the result of my recent experiment re creating backups of not only my media files but also the catalog (db file) itself.

:-
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 pm

George Tyndall wrote:I can hardly wait to provide you and other members with the result of my recent experiment re creating backups of not only my media files but also

the catalog (db file) itself.--NOT!

I'm VERY SORRY to tell you that, after waiting for 19 hours for my Drive G[eorge] to finish backing up to Drive F[rankie], I spent all of

today attempting to use the catalog (the db file) that I'd copied from Drive G to Drive F to access my media files from Drive F like I could from Drive G. This, I was able to do in the past with a previous version of the Organizer that shall remain unmentioned (Hi Chuck! :no: )

What this means is that, when Drive G crashes, I'll need to start building a new catalog from scratch :(

On the other hand, that is vastly preferable to using Adobe's backup and restore method, as that method could require days if not weeks to accomplish the task -- and from past experience might "peter out" before the job gets done.

Interestingly, when I attempt to "import" the files from my Drive F with the catalog I've brought over from Drive G, no thumbnails appear in the Media Browser. Instead, I get a message that the files are either already in the catalog or damaged (no other external HDDs mounted). The size of the catalog in MB is smaller on F than G, so I'm guessing that the files are being read as damaged rather than already in the catalog.

I'm further assuming this means that, once the files have been linked to a catalog on any drive, they can't also be linked to another catalog, even if there is no other drive currently linking to them.

Here's the happy ending :yh: : SmartSyncPro is able to sync the two 4TB drives, which are each about 2/3 full, without blinking. :-8
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Elements Organizer