They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Shake reduction problem

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2018

Shake reduction problem

Postby holbrookp » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Shake reduction in Premiere Elements 2018 isn't working. I'm rendering for Facebook videos a series of digitized home movies from a friend. The dimension of the .mp4 films is now 720x480, though the original films were the standard 16mm aspect ratio, which I doubt matters.

The error message I get when I attempt to add shake reduction (with no other effects added to the clip) is a red bar across the screen saying "Shake reduction requires clip dimensions to match project settings. Create a new project."

Well, I do and have tried several project settings having the 720x480 dimension but none will give me a working shake reduction.

Any advice? Thanks!
holbrookp
New User
New User

Re: Shake reduction problem

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:09 am

Open one of your source file MP4s in the free download MediaInfo. Set MediaInfo's View menu to Text and the copy and paste the report it generates to this forum so we can see what these files are made of.

I don't know how you captured your video from film or how the software is creating MP4s from it, but once we see what's inside these files we'll be better able to speculate what's going on. A variable frame rate video, for instance, may be bugging up the system. It's also possible that your 720x480 video is using a non-standard pixel aspect ratio. But MediaInfo will tell us that.

Also, if you look under the Edit menu in Premiere Elements, what is listed on the General page under Project Settings?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby holbrookp » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks. Here's what I have:

General
Complete name : G:\TIZIO MOVIES!!\old films\474345-02.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (isom/iso2/mp41)
File size : 100.0 MiB
Duration : 4 min 13 s
Overall bit rate : 3 308 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-03-21 01:20:29
Tagged date : UTC 2018-03-21 01:20:29
Writing application : HandBrake 1.0.7 2017040900

Video
ID : 1
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L1
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : mp4v-20
Duration : 4 min 13 s
Bit rate : 3 307 kb/s
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 3:2
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 17.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 16.997 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 17.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.563
Stream size : 99.9 MiB (100%)
Writing library : Lavc57.25.0
Encoded date : UTC 2018-03-21 01:20:29
Tagged date : UTC 2018-03-21 01:20:29

In the Project Settings tab, it shows the aspect ratio and "30 fps Drop-Frame Timecode."

The home movies were originally shot on 16mm and maybe Super 8. The earliest go back to the 1920s. I don't know how the digital copies were made or the software used, but I was told it was done by Legacy Box.
holbrookp
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:09 pm

You've got a couple of issues going on with this video. So I'm not surprised Premiere Elements doesn't know what to do with it.

One is that it uses a variable frame rate compression, which doesn't work well with pretty much any video editor. (It's what's called a delivery rather than an editing format.) The other is that your 720x480 video uses 3:2 aspect ratio pixels, which is also very non-standard. The frame rate is also 17 fps, which is also non-standard. So it's just not a good video for editing.

I'd try running it through the free download Handbrake. Handbrake will convert it to an editable video.

In Handbrake select the output preset for General/Fast 720p30.

Under the Dimensions tab, set Anamorphic to None and then manually type in Width 855. This should make your Height 480. If it doesn't, uncheck Keep Aspect Ratio and type it in so that it will produce an 855x480 video. (If the video is 4:3 rather than widescreen, set it to 640x480.) Set a name and location for your video at the bottom of the panel and then click the Start Encode button at the top of the panel.

The output video should load into a new Premiere Elements project and, when you add it to your timeline, you should NOT see a yellow orange "Render" line above the video. If you don't see this render line, you're all set. Everything should work now.

Sorry that it's so much work but whoever digitized your movie did not do so with the assumption you were going to edit it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby holbrookp » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Thank you! I didn't even know such free utilities as Handbrake existed. Well, I followed your instructions and there was a yellow/orange line when I loaded the newly processed video into Premiere Elements.

The shake reduction alert never appeared through several test shake reductions but the effect really didn't work out satisfactorily. The image was reduced within the monitor screen and danced around the area while it played. I checked the option to only reduce shake and leave the cropping off, but the playback was somewhat slow and a bit jerky.
1111111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
holbrookp
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 am

I'm not sure why you're seeing a yellow orange line above your clips -- but that's indication that the program did not match project specs to your video. This was a new project, right?

Can you put your original source video on a site like Dropbox and post a link so that some of us can download it and experiment with it?

Conversation with Handbrake will fix your issues and, once your video specs and project settings are matched, your shake reduction will work. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make this oddball video format compatible with the editor.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:01 am

This could have been so much easier if the person who digitized the videos knew what they were doing, or at least knew that they were going to be edited. I don't understand why they used the settings that they did :-k
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby holbrookp » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:06 pm

I've been experimenting with the films using your advice and can't get any good results at all. So here's a link to a film on Dropbox if you'd like to examine it yourself. I can add more if you want. I assume the data for all of them is the same. They all have the same aspect ratio despite them coming from films that had different ones.

Yes, each effort in Premiere Elements is using a new project. The film on Dropbox is, of course, not a file I've edited but a copy of the original version I received.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Bad%20film%20render

Thanks for any help!
holbrookp
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 am

Unfortunately the link you posted above doesn't share your video. Can you share the video from Dropbox to steve at this site (Muvipix.com).

This is a sample of the original digitized video, right? I'm going to see if I can convert it to a format that is editable.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby holbrookp » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm not skilled at using Dropbox. In fact, I never use it. I set the movie to share to muvipix@muvipix.com. That is the only way I could figure out to do it. If it doesn't work, I'll try something else.

Yes, I'm sending the file exactly as I got it. I've tried others in the batch but the results are all the same. If a shake reduction processes at all, it's a small image bouncing around all around the screen, even if I choose shake reduction only (not resize).
holbrookp
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 pm

You'll need to share it to my e-mail address in order for me to access it.

Meantime, please don't ever type your, my or anybody's e-mail address in a forum post. Spambots pick up on them in a second and will overwhelm us with junk mail!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby holbrookp » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Guessing your email is your name at muvipix, so I tried again.
holbrookp
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:49 am

Thank you, Paul. I've received the file.

I'll experiment with it and see what I can learn.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:21 am

Okay, Paul. I've got some answers for you. (Isn't Muvipix amazing, by the way?)

The good news: Here are the settings in HandBrake for converting the file into editable video:
1) Open your original video in HandBrake. Select the preset for Fast 1080p30 (which we're going to modify and you can save as a new preset if you'd like).
2) Under the Summary tab, make sure MP4 is selected as the Format.
3) Under the Dimensions tab, set Anamorphic to Custom. When Keep Aspect Ratio appears, uncheck it and set the Width to 640 and the Height to 480.
4) Set Modulus to 16 and Display Width to 640 with a PAR of 1x1.
5) Finally, under the Video tab, ensure Frame Rate is 30 and make sure Constant Frame Rate is checked.
6) Set as Save As location and name and then click Start Encode at the top of the program.
Your new file should drop into a new Premiere Elements project with no render line above it -- indicate a perfect match between video and project settings!

That's the good news.

The bad news is that this type of video really doesn't lend itself well to Shake Reduction. Shake Reduction us best for stabilizing a handheld shot of a single scene or to take some of the shake out of something like the view out the windhshield of a car. It bases its stabilization on something constant in the middle of the frame, moving the video around in the frame to keep that object in place.

Your video is a series of short home movie shots, most of which have the camera moving around a lot of shooting different people in different scenes. So the stabilizer has no constant reference point. If you try to use Shake Reduction, the program simply won't know what to do with it. You'll get odd framings (as you've experienced) or a note that suggests you change the Shake Reduction settings.

The better news is that you probably don't need to stabilize this video. The handheld look kind of adds to the charm of this classic old home movie footage.

Meantime, you WILL able to adjust color, increase vibrance, etc, and it ought to look pretty good. It's not going to look great, of course. It's just 8mm home movies, and it's pretty old. But you should be able to do something with it that will make anyone who remembers the people in it very happy.

Hope that helps!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Steve you are amazing, super star of the day !! :SS: :land: :SS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE version 2018