They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

pixelating

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2018

pixelating

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:29 am

Hi Guys,
I have just starting using Premier Elements 18, which is a mixture of stills and a little video, some of the video very old,
but that is not the problem. I have also done a layout in CC which is a scrapbook page and imported it in. I remember
having this same problem a while back with a earlier version of PE, meaning the scrapbook page once any movement is
applied to it, it starts pixelating. I remembered back then I unchecked scale to frame size for the clip and it solved
the problem. But this time in 18, I have unchecked scale to frame size and once movement is applied it starts pixelating.
I will admit after unchecking the scale to frame it is a lot better then with it checked, but it is not perfect, at least to
me it is not the quality I am after. Is there anything else I should be doing to fix this issue. The layout itself once no
movement is applied the quality is perfect, just movement seems to undo the quality a little. Just wondering could it
just be the computer playback and once on the TV it will be ok. As previously mentioned it is not that bad but I can
see it, so any thoughts greatly appreciated. I have a few of these layouts to come into the project eventually, so if
I can fix the issue at the beginning I would be a happy girl.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts Bubby ::C
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: pixelating

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:10 am

Version 18 is actually version 2018, Bubby. Just for the record. ;)

That said, if the video looks good when the timeline is paused and then pixelates when it is playing, it just means you need to render your timeline (by pressing Enter).

Or are you saying that the video from CC is pixelating whenever you play it? Or are you saying to the video from CC is fine, but when you output it from Premiere Elements, it pixelates? Each of these would indicate something different.

Meantime, in what CC program did you create this scrapbook and in what format and resolution did you output it for Premiere Elements?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi Steve
The Scrapbook layout was created in photoshop CC2018 12 x 12 with a 300ppi and saved as both a PSD and JPEG
I am using the JPEG in PE 2018, everything is perfectly fine, but once I add keyframes and it is rendered, it pixelates
slightly. As I said I had this issue in an earlier version of PE and after unchecking scale to frame it worked perfectly,
but this time the effect on the timeline is not as perfect as when I did the exact same thing in the earlier version.
Just wondering why when I have done exactly the same before but in an earlier version of both CC and PE. Bubby
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:02 pm

When do you see the pixelation, Bubby?

Do you see it when you output your movie as an MP4?

Or do you see it when you're playing the timeline (and suddenly everything looks clear when you stop playback)?

As I've said, the latter indicates that you're looking at a soft render -- and all you need to do is render the timeline to pressing Enter and the playback will smooth.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi Steve,
I notice the problem upon playback, and it has already been rendered which is something I always do
when I make any edit to any still or video. It occurs once the movement has been applied to it, rendered
I am just watching the playback for any errors or I don't like a particular keyframe. The photos on the
layout is fine, but there is a couple of colored strips behind the pics in the layout which seem to be where
it starts. I have not output the movie yet as not finished. I have unchecked the scale to frame which does improve
the playback but not to my satisfaction. Maybe I am being just to picky :) I am known for seeing
faults in something I do and nobody else sees it. It has definitely been rendered. Maybe
later I will do a test output just to see once an MP4 it may be ok. Bubby
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:37 am

Even rendering the timeline only gives you a low-resolution preview of your work.

I'd recommend you output a test video. An Mp4 that you can play on the VLC Media Player. Just to assure yourself that the issue is only in your timeline preview. Your final output will be fine.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Will do thanks Bubby
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:25 pm

You might also want to try using the PSD file rather than the JPEG ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE version 2018