They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Shake reduction problem

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2018

Re: Shake reduction problem

Postby holbrookp » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:41 am

Yes, Steve, you're amazing. I knew that long ago and again when I bought your Premiere Elements 2018 books. I saw your Lynda.com tutorial series too. I knew you could help if anybody could. So thanks much!

I'm glad to have the means and knowledge to make those home movies more capable of being edited. You're right, the shake reduction still isn't doing a perfect job but it's better, with specific settings. Wrong settings and it's back to a small image jumping about in the screen. But there's some smoothness there I appreciate. I can slow the footage down a little with Time Remapping and that makes the shakes a little easier to watch. The action in these old home movies is never entirely naturally smooth anyway.

I found, almost by accident, that I can load video footage into Photoshop CC and turn it all into a smart object and do a better job of adjusting colors, exposure, etc. than I can in Premiere Elements. That's what I did with the Kristin August film you received. (Kristin is now 49, by the way.) I'm glad I can now do a better job on the black and white ones from the 1930s. If you or anyone is interested in seeing more of these home movies, you can find them on my Facebook page called Camera Americana. I mostly stick with restoring old negatives I collect but my work with the Tizio family has led to them sharing their family's home movies.

I saved the settings of the film as a Handshake preset. I'm learning new things every day through practice and tutorials. Thanks again for your help!
holbrookp
New User
New User

Re: Shake reduction problem

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:53 am

So glad we could help, Paul!!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to PRE version 2018