They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Lake Frank

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

Lake Frank

Postby ed » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:57 pm

Not an exciting video, but I took a camera and my drone to Lake Frank in Rockville Maryland last Friday. Haven't had much time to fly it lately what with work, family stuff and rainy weather when I do have time. I wanted to get some photos of the Fall footage, but looks like I missed it by about a week.

Lake Frank is part of Rock Creek park, which goes all the way into Washington DC. If you've been to the National Zoo it's the creek right behind the zoo. About eight years ago we had heavy rainfall for days, and the earthen dam looked like it might be breached and fail (that's were I was flying the drone). They evacuated a few thousand people in the middle of the night, but the dam held. It was fortified after that.

I think I may look at getting a new drone this coming year that can take steadier video. I'm sure I'll be posting for advice.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Lake Frank

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:54 pm

Very nice scenery, Ed!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:39 pm

A little past peak, but still very pretty, Ed. I think I agree that you would likely be happier with something with better stabilization. There's always technology out there waiting for us to spend money :) . Maybe Christmas?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 am

Ed that was pretty cool. Yes the drone needs a gimbal but I must say that the video colors look really good. Too bad the mfg did not add a gimbal. The colors look great. This time of year I am always searching for those pockets of fall color since the majority of the foliage stays green year round.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:00 pm

This drone does take really nice photos. I didn't have the nerve to fly it over the lake, but if I get a new one this one will be my 'take the risk' drone.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:03 pm

Well whatever you decide to to do there is a youtuber called Captain Drone that does a lot of reviews on a variety of different drones and it pretty knowledgeable is price vs performance.

I have only gone over water a couple of times. Once when I was flying drones with my friend. He had a DJI spark and immediately took it up and flew to the middle of the lake. The cable then came out of the phone and it was stuck over the water hovering. He just put the cord back in got a response and flew it home. I was shocked to say the lease.

I still prefer land and the hard stop crash to water.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Drones - Photo/Video