They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Boyds Maryland

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

Boyds Maryland

Postby ed » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:45 pm

I went out his this morning with the drone, although it was way to windy and a little cold. I went to Boyds Maryland, about a 15 minute drive from the house. It is an historical district, African American village from back in the day. The small blue building is a restored one room school house, the abandoned buildings are what I look for for my black and white film photography. I've taken a lot of photos of them.

The church in the last segment is an historic African American church in our county. The Fall before Covid I was out taking photos of it and the cemetery in back. The caretaker showed up (a volunteer) and we talked for quite awhile. He invited me to the Sunday service, and although I'm not too into that at this point in my life I went and it was very uplifting. Everyone was very kind and welcoming to me.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Boyds Maryland

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:03 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Ed!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:08 pm

Ed it sounds like a cool adventure. And I think it adds such a cool perspective.

I can see the drone was fighting the wind. Blackmagic makes Fusion a free software that will stabilize the video.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:31 pm

I will check that out Sidd. The software I'm using has stabilization, but I don't like the distortion of the video after it. This drone takes great photos, but I don't think it was made for awesome video.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Ed I think that is why these drones need a 3 axis stabilizer. It just removes all that wiggle.

But I think that the camera footage looks pretty good. Too bad there is not an aftermarket gimbal you could add.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:13 pm

So I went back to the church last Saturday while I was out and about. I did the Movavi stabilization at the 80% non-advanced setting and slowed the video down 50% on this clip. I think the slow motion helps.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:28 pm

Interesting fly over of the cemetery in the 2nd video. Would love to photograph the church and the house in the first video. Looked like a fairly windy day. Does the wind bounce the drone around a lot? Hard to fly in those conditions?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby ed » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:30 am

It wasn't too windy, maybe 8 miles an hour, the drone is just very light in weight.

I would love to take photos of the inside of the church. It's really beautiful when the light comes through the stained glass windows. This area of the county is great for photography Cheryl. I drive around and look for brown colored road signs, which means the old road is considered historic, and just drive down them. Always a lot of abandoned buildings and cool old farms with some awesome looking old barns.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:56 am

Ed the black and white drone shot looks pretty cool and not something I had considered doing but it is a great look. Out here that is not much open space to find old dilapidated buildings and with so many people it makes it hard to find room to fly. I am envious of the great places to check out.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:19 pm

I’m only 15-20 minutes from Washington DC, so it’s crowded here to Sidd. Luckily a few decades ago we elected a Jesuit Priest as county commissioner who ran on stopping over development. He made the north part of the county, about a third of the county, an agriculture reserve. They got him out after one term, but people won’t let them reverse that.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:01 am

Score 1 for the Jesuits... lol

But I am inspired by your black & white Drone footage. Once we can get out more I will have to search for some of those little pockets of charm to record. I use google maps to do my recon to find potential places of interest.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby ed » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:56 am

Check this site out Sidd, I search for abandoned structures.

https://www.shothotspot.com
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:56 am

ed wrote:Check this site out Sidd, I search for abandoned structures. https://www.shothotspot.com

Your mention of a site with information about abandoned structures reminded me of this video that I took whilst living in Sicily. It is in SD even though the footage was in HD. Must get round to re-doing the edit!

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby GerryB » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:51 am

Very good video, especially the addition of the old photographs.
Narration not bad either!!
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:34 am

That was well put together John. I would love to be able to take some photos there during the golden hours.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Drones - Photo/Video