They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Dronelink - Finally

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

Dronelink - Finally

Postby Ron » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:32 am

This is what I was waiting for since purchasing DJI's Mavic Air 2 -- Waypoint Missions.

Actually, it's tons more than Waypoint Missions (beyond comprehension, I assure you!), but DJI has finally released the SDK (Software Development Kit) and Dronelink has added the MA2 to the list of [Beta] supported Drones. I've played around with it and it has so many features that it will take me ions to totally grasp its full functionality.

From adjusting extremely detailed camera/video settings to precise gimbal movement; speed; altitude; POIs; heading; previews & simulations (using Google Maps and/or Google Earth; .. the list goes on and on. It takes flying drones to the next level and beyond!

You basically create the mission(s) on your desktop, laptop or tablet (cloud-based repository), go to the launch site, open the app and fly the autonomous mission.

PT5E01 - Basic Waypoint & Orbit from Dronelink on Vimeo.

Here's the full showcase of videos
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dronelink - Finally

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:51 am

Ron that is so cool, I have been reading up and watching videos. I am curious to see how you like it and if it adds a cool flavor to the video you shoot. My biggest question is, that it might take away from that tactile feel of actually piloting the drone. But I am guessing you can get some pretty interesting footage.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:30 am

sidd finch wrote:My biggest question is, that it might take away from that tactile feel of actually piloting the drone.

Nah, it doesn't really take that away as I can still fly manually when that need or want arises.. or just for fun (I get some pretty neat overhead-selfie shots out by the pool :) ), it's just nice to have that total set-it-and-forget-it option. I mean, technically, I can set the drone down outside, hit the mission 'play' button, go in the house and grab a snack and a beverage and it does everything autonomously from initial takeoff to final landing - there's something very satisfying about that :fg:

But, if I go on a trip somewhere, it's also nice that I can plan several missions ahead of time, in the comfort of my own home, and have all of those missions ready to go when I get to the destination. Or create quick simple missions focusing on several POIs in succession (orbits, dolly shots, etc.) without the need to even attempt manually - as I'm sure you know how tricky that can be flying with the sticks... I still haven't mastered that yet.
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:21 am

But, if I go on a trip somewhere, it's also nice that I can plan several missions ahead of time, in the comfort of my own home

That does make sense as you could really maximize the opportunity to get some great footage. But setting the drone outside and letting it do its thing while I pop inside might be a bit rich for my blood... :fg:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:48 am

sidd finch wrote:But setting the drone outside and letting it do its thing while I pop inside might be a bit rich for my blood...

I won't be doing that until I test this at least a couple dozen times without issues.
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Ron, that got me thinking about the idea of collaborating on projects with different individuals. For example if I had the program on my drone someone from across the country who was looking for specific footage in a place where I live could create a flight plan that I would use on my drone. Then share the footage. Sounds like we could it have a lot of possibilities for collaborating.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Ron » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:06 am

Absolutely :tup:
Regards,
-Ron

Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Drones - Photo/Video