They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

2021 Drone Regulations

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

2021 Drone Regulations

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:18 am

Sidd? Anybody?

I have no idea what any of this means. Do I need to do more than just register and label my hobby drones?
https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases ... wsId=25541
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: 2021 Drone Regulations

Postby Peru » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:47 am

Peru

Postby sidd finch » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:54 am

Steve the good news is that there is about 2.5 years before this is rolled out. Looks like the gist is that drones will need to broadcast an id from the drone but the drone manufacturers will need to create a way to do this. I did not see what the rule is regarding legacy drones so for that I am not sure. I am also not sure if the 250 weight limit that keeps it a hobby drone comes into play either.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:08 am

Basically, "Remote ID" is a transmission protocol that the FAA can, if feasible, monitor a drone's flight to see if it complies with the FAA rules and regulations (which definitely has gray areas!).

The DJI Mavic lines >250 grams already have Remote ID transmissions built in - ironically DJI was just put on a blacklist by the US gov., so not sure where that's going...

In a nutshell, the way I understand it is; if you fly drones commercially, you need a license and you NEED to transmit Remote ID info, period.

Coupled with that, it needs to fly safely (avoiding people, airspace, restricted areas, etc.). The safely part is where flying recreationally is covered - but again, currently has gray areas --- in other words, room for massive interpretation - I'm almost certain that this will be further defined in the coming months.

For a small example, the peeps on YouTube that are there for the sole purpose of making money from 'hits' on their videos, must have a Part 107 license to even broadcast a vacation video created, even in part, by a drone.

This is just the beginning. I mean, I do get the whole "fly your drones safely" to avoid damage to people, private property and the like, but how far this will go will be the ultimate question....
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sidd finch » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:02 pm

but how far this will go will be the ultimate question

I think the main thrust is to prepare for commercial drone delivery so that there is a sense of what is in the sky as these delivery drones get ready to deploy. I am guessing that that way the commercial drones can navigate areas where there are recreational drones operating. I think any heavy handedness will be a result of the bad apples that fly irresponsibly.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:50 pm

You guys are the best! Thank you!

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to enjoy my favorite summer hobby anymore.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Drones - Photo/Video