They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Newbie drone owner

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

Newbie drone owner

Postby ed » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:48 pm

A colleague gave me a drone as a holiday gift. I've enjoyed watching Sidd's videos, and I can't wait to figure out how to use it and take some photos with it. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions while I try figure it out.

Do I have to register this? I remember reading somewhere that that may be instituted.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Newbie drone owner

Postby sidd finch » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:35 pm

Ed sweet, I look forward to your opera's (Opera is the plural of opus.. lol)

Depending on what drone you have will determine if you need the $5 license. Less than 250 grams no license is required. That new Mavic mini is less that 250.

Sidd

Ohhh crud just a thought. With Steve, Ron, Ed, and Pazz all drone enthusiastic now, I better really up my flying video game. Ahh the self imposed pressure.... :-8

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Sidd, it will be a long time before we're even near you level.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:03 am

It's a Holy Stone HS 510 Sidd. I checked and no license needed :) She said she got this one because she knows I like backpacking and it's small and packable.

Unfortunately the ground is covered with snow and ice where I live right now, so I'll have to wait for better weather before I practice with it.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:23 pm

Ed that looks like a cool drone. Depending on your confidence/risk level you could always lay out a piece of cardboard on the ground and take off from there. But make sure the batteries are room temp before you fly. Cold weather can make the flight time get reduced. I am looking forward to your videos. To me they are so much fun especially because there is a level of excitement to fly in the air and the video you get back is really really cool. Especially since you shot the footage.

My tip is to not fly too high as the video then looses perspective and the resulting shots are not as dramatic as flying closer to earth.

Sidd, it will be a long time before we're even near you level.

Steve you are too kind. :oops:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:51 am

I took it out for the first time at one of the soccer fields in the neighborhood this morning. Almost lost it in a tree :-D , then decided to keep it close and practice the controls. Very responsive! I'll need a lot more practice before I feel ready to do some cool video.

2020122811131487.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:32 pm

Congratulations Ed you have officially joined the club.. :hyst:

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Drones - Photo/Video