They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pigeon Point Lighthouse

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

Pigeon Point Lighthouse

Postby sidd finch » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:41 pm

Finnal able to get out of the house and make a drive to the ocean. It was a bit overcast but felt good to be somewhere.... lol footage is a tad shaky because I was not able to use a gimbal. The anamorich lens requires a cage so too heavy for the gimbal. As always comments welcome.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Pigeon Point Lighthouse

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:37 pm

I picked up a new drone for my grandson and me to share. Its a big improvement over the toy I had a few years ago, but still a long way from the big birds you use, Sidd.

I continually fear losing it in a tree or on a rooftop. How long until you're brave enough to fly it above the ocean?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:47 pm

Steve, That is awesome I am sure you both will have a great time with the drone. They are quite a bit of fun. And the more you fly the better skilled you become. You will be surprised at how adept your grandson will become at flying. Kids seem to have a better ability to learn to fly quickly.

I continually fear losing it in a tree or on a rooftop.

Same!

How long until you're brave enough to fly it above the ocean?

For me that would be a never. I guess for me it is the same mindset as gambling in Vegas. I am not prepared to loose.... so no need to try that..... lol

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Do you tend to fly "headless", watching the drone as you fly it around, or PPV, using a cell phone or tablet to fly it from the drone's "pilot" point of view?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:51 am

Combination of both.

To align the shots and make sure the camera is pointing where I want then I look at the smartphone. When Flying I look at the drone. Sometimes when I loose sight of the drone I have to face the camera to the ground so I can determine where it is. I tend to fly making specific runs. I line up the camera then proceed with the shot. I try not to make too many adjustments during the flight runs or the footage does not come out to well. I like to look as smooth as possible.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 am

I've said it many times before, but I love this stuff! I think the overcast sky actually added to this one - another way to set the mood. What a beautiful area. A couple of the edit cuts were a little quick for me, as I was looking to take everything in. Had to pause the video to check things out. We did Hwy 101 some years ago coming down from Washington - Oregon, but didn't go as far as San Francisco. I think we turned off around Eureka and never actually got to Hwy 1. In those days all I had was a still camera, point and shoot. Love to have another go at it now.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:00 am

Well I am pretty embarassesd......

I can always count on myself to pull a knucklehead move and this is no exception. The video I posted was not taken with a drone but my Sony RX0 II on a monopod. Glad you enjoyed the footage but I hope that it because it was not on a drone does not detract.

Dave some of the edits are quick because the footage got shaky and un-useable....

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:19 am

sidd finch wrote:Dave some of the edits are quick because the footage got shaky and un-useable....

I thought that was a possibility. Been there, done that. The magic of editing covers many problems. :-5
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:12 am

The video made me realize how much I really rely on gimbals to get those smooth shots. And I have really become accustomed to trying to get as smooth a shot as possible.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Love the view and the colors Sidd. I could sit all day with that view. Are those houses for rent?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:43 am

Thanks mom.

Back in the day when humans socialized with each other Those were rented out for overnight stays. But with the pandemic I would guess they are now closed. Everything there was closed on this trip.

I could have stayed there all day. But, when we got there it was mostly empty, but after about 45 minutes a crowd of about 15 showed up no one wearing masks so we decided to exit stage left.... lol

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:24 am

Sorry the crowd ran you off. We walk at a nature center and see a few humans & pups on the trail briefly. Solitude with nature is wonderful. I found us a secluded cabin for a quick trip. There are state parks nearby to hike. I joked that we should watch the movie Deliverance before we go. :mrgreen:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:14 am

I joked that we should watch the movie Deliverance before we go

Just to give the overnight some sense of adventure.... hahahahah

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:16 pm

Absolutely nothing like the sea. Thanks for sharing, Sidd.

Hope the Santa Cruz fires are not too close to you.

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Thanks Pazz the area where the video was shot is now the front line of one of the many fires now. The fires are not directly in our area but are distributed all across the bay area. It is so smokey outside that all the windows are closed and you cannot see very well. The 97 plus temps are not helping but hey.... we are surviving.

Stay safe Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Drones - Photo/Video