They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Somebody's watching me

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

Somebody's watching me

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:52 am

According to a report from the New York Times, cybersecurity has determined there is a vulnerability in an app that controls most DJI drones.

Researchers released two reports claiming an app on Google’s Android operating system made by China-based DJI collects large amounts of personal information that could be exploited by the Beijing government. This news is huge, considering hundreds of thousands of people across the work use DJI’s app to pilot their drones.

US government officials have been warning us about the Chinese government potentially exploiting weaknesses in tech products to force companies there to give up information about American users. Chinese companies must comply with any government request to turn over data, according to American officials. DJI is a China-based company. So, this means the company would have to hand over whatever information they have to the Chinese government.

The drone vulnerability, said American officials, is the kind of security hole that worries Washington.

https://www.videomaker.com/news/dji-dro ... -weakness/

SIdd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Somebody's watching me

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Nearly every piece of electronics I've bought in the past year or so has been made in China -- including the new Android stereo I just installed in my car! I am a walking security leak.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Somebody's watching me

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:50 am

Agreed. I guess the expectation of privacy was not consistent with the reality of these apps and devices. What makes the DJI stuff cause for concern is that they have cameras that are airborne. Potentially a lot more nefarious. But I think to have to monitor thousands of drones would take some serious algorithms I doubt DJI has. But hey who doesn't like a compelling conspiracy story.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Drones - Photo/Video