They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New DJI Launch coming Jan 23

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

New DJI Launch coming Jan 23

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 am

The adventure unfolds...... hummm maybe a new folding Spark II.....???

From Tech-Crunch: The location could be a hint as far as what to expect here. In recent years, the company has preferred Los Angeles as the backdrop for its film related announcements. New York, on the other hand, has been the setting for both the Mavic Pro and Spark consumer drone announcements.

The company’s also giddily leaking out various tidbits through social media, teasing a “big” announcement in quotes, and titling the event, “Adventure Unfolds,” which could well be a reference to the backpack friendly nature of the last two big announcements. That’s all coupled with a hyperbolic video of aerial footage and some tiny glimpses of the hardware.

The event announcement comes just a week after GoPro officially announced the end of its Karma drone program. That foldable drone was the result of an early partnership between GoPro and DJI that ultimately soured, leaving each party to develop their own folding drone. DJI’s Mavic Pro was initially delayed by shipping setbacks, but the product proved successful enough for the company to announce the smaller selfie-focused Spark drone in May.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: New DJI Launch coming Jan 23

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:12 pm

sidd finch wrote:The adventure unfolds...... hummm maybe a new folding Spark II.....???

Sidd

Autel showed a folding orange-colored "Evo" at the CES that will be selling "for about $1000." Because it features the following, it's seen as competition for the Mavic Pro:
4k@60fps
Sensors all around
Up to 30 minutes flying time
RC with OLED screen
More

However, the speculation over on Mavic Pilots is that, as in the past, DJI has been waiting for the competition to release their new product, so DJI can use the announcement as a launching pad for their even-better option.

Given that the EVO is clearly designed to compete with the Mavic Pro, the speculation is that DJI will soon announce the Mavic Pro 2. If that is what happens, there may be a dramatic price drop on the current Mavic Pro, in which case my wife may finally get the Alpine White version that she has been [-o< for.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:09 am

I think my guess is on the Spark. When the ad mentions unfolding I would not assume that to be the Mavic since it already unfolds. But only time will tell.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:50 am

sidd finch wrote:I think my guess is on the Spark. When the ad mentions unfolding I would not assume that to be the Mavic since it already unfolds. But only time will tell.

Sidd

I just now happened upon the following discussion, which you may find interesting:

https://dronedj.com/2018/01/17/dji-mavic-air-dual-camera-gimbal/

A folding drone, called the Mavic Air, that is smaller, lighter, cheaper, faster and with a longer range than the Mavic Pro -- and has a better dual camera gimbal to boot?

Whoa! I can hardly wait until 10am EST on the 23rd, which DroneDJ will be covering.

:exc:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 am

Looks like it might have been leaked after all. Maybe called a Mavic Air. A cross between a Spark and A Mavic.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/22/djis- ... of-launch/

According to DroneDJ, the small drone will have four foldable legs, a 4k camera, 3-way gimbal and a obstacle-avoidance system. But what about the price and range? DJI will likely reveal those details at the event tomorrow morning. Hopefully the Mavic Air is not a new product but a replacement for the Spark as the DJI product line is quickly getting muddled.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:38 pm

sidd finch wrote:Looks like it might have been leaked after all. Maybe called a Mavic Air. A cross between a Spark and A Mavic.Sidd

There's one knowledgable expert who is predicting three releases:

a) a New Spark Pro

b) a Mavic Pro II with possible dual cameras that is smaller, cheaper and faster than the Mavic Pro, and

c) a Phantom V Pro that will be smaller and lighter = not as inconvenient to carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhF1m8mQe6Q&t=15s

I'm so excited, like a kid on Christmas Eve :exc:

Update: 2018 0122@2311: I reside in LA so I've set my alarm for 0700 :exc:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:55 pm

.... and Mavic air it is.

Your Life, Now Epic

3-Axis Gimbal Camera

The Mavic Air is the most portable DJI drone to house a 3-axis mechanical gimbal, with its angular vibration range reduced to 0.005°. Set in a triangular formation, gimbal dampeners help create even steadier shots.

32 MP Sphere Panoramas

In addition to Horizontal, Vertical, and 180° panoramas, the Mavic Air stitches 25 photos together in just eight seconds to create crystal-clear 32 MP Sphere panoramas.1 View them from an immersive perspective with DJI Goggles.

4K 100 Mbps Video

The Mavic Air shoots video at an incredible 4K 30 fps, recording at 100 Mbps to capture every second with UHD quality.

Slow-Motion Video

With support for recording 1080p 120 fps slow-motion video, the Mavic Air captures all your epic high-speed adventures.

HDR Photos

New HDR algorithms help you obtain the right exposure settings intelligently, according to lighting conditions. Overexposed or dark areas are processed for more natural transitions between highlights and shadows, while DSP acceleration allows for more efficient shooting.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:29 pm

[quote="sidd finch"].... and Mavic air it is. [quote]

Some are speculating that, as soon as Autel's Evo is on the market, DJI will release the Mavic Pro 2.

Re the Mavic Air, I'm pretty sure my wife will prefer it to the Alpine White Mavic Pro that she's been eyeing, mostly because of its improved portability.

Neither of us cares about the 4K@60fps, as a) neither of us has a machine that can edit that and b) our HDTV is only 1080p.

The other important reason is that PRE 2018 can do a very adequate of producing Slo-mo from a 1080p timeline.

Did you sign up for the free trial plus the possibility of keeping it for free? The offer is on the DJI website.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Drones - Photo/Video