They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Update drone or get grounded....

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

Update drone or get grounded....

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:40 am

DJI Spark drones will not fly after 1 September unless owners apply a mandatory software update, the device's maker has warned.
DJI said the update to the small drone's core software fixes some flight control issues suffered by the gadget.
The drone maker said it had warned owners about the deadline so they could avoid having their craft grounded.
But the mandatory update has caused some owners to question the control DJI retains over their devices.
In a statement, DJI said the update would improve how the Spark manages power. It also helps it work with smart spectacles that give owners an immersive view of what the drone films.
It added: "If the firmware of either the aircraft or the battery is not updated by September 1, Spark will not be able to take off."
The update is now available via the Go 4 management app used to configure and fly the craft as well as DJI's Assistant 2 desktop software.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Update drone or get grounded....

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:49 am

The arrogance of some companies. Suppose Ford or Toyota did the same with their vehicles? Update your firmware or your car stops running next month. :mad:
It does make we wonder exactly how they do that, though. If it works now, how does a failure to update cause it to stop working?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am

The little bit I know is that they have some kind of back door in to the aircraft via the remote app. They use geo -fencing to make sure the aircraft will not operate in certain locations, and I think that they can gather flight data through the app.

What I wonder is if you only use the aircraft and controller and only fly by sight will it still work? I agree on the heavy handed methodology. I think this was a response to an increase in drone fly-aways and the military not allowing DJI products to be used in the armed services.

I am waiting for the next update to incorporate Amazon echo so you can tell the drone to go pick up a new battery for you at the store.... lol

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:44 pm

sidd finch wrote:I am waiting for the next update to incorporate Amazon echo so you can tell the drone to go pick up a new battery for you at the store.... lol

The way this is going it won't wait for you to tell it, it'll just go get it on its own.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:49 pm

It will be like the computer HAL in 2001 a Space Odyssey.... >>>>>HELLO DAVE>>>> >>>>DAVE PLEASE PUT DOWN THAT BASEBALL BAT>>>>>

:hyst: Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:53 pm

sidd finch wrote:It will be like the computer HAL in 2001 a Space Odyssey.... >>>>>HELLO DAVE>>>> >>>>DAVE PLEASE PUT DOWN THAT BASEBALL BAT>>>>>

:hyst: Sidd

:CS: Big brother is watching too much!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:14 pm

Don't worry. You probably won't be owning the drone software and firmware at some point in time in the future.
You will be subscribing to the software/firmware which will automatically update itself in the background. 8-[
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Bob you are right. I am guessing that at some point even watching paint dry will have a monthly fee.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 pm

at some point even watching paint dry will have a monthly fee

Hey, you talkin' 'bout my painting videos??? :fg:

It's possible my DJI already won't fly. I tried to use it a while back and it demanded that I update first... but I couldn't because I've [lost] um, misplaced my notebook with all my passwords. Not to worry... it's only been out of place for half a year or two. I'm sure I'll come across it when I'm looking for something else someday...

The US military. As far as I'm concerned, if the government of another country, or a business in another country can totally control tools the military needs, well, let's just say I hope the USA can figure out a way to make their own. hmmmm. Boots too.

Class action lawsuit? Ever been done internationally?
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 am

Recent reports pointed to a problem with the drone that has been causing a small number of them to suddenly drop out of the sky. Although DJI doesn’t reference the issue directly, the company said in a blog post on Tuesday that it’s “decided on the option of a mandatory firmware update in order to maximize flight safety and product reliability.”

The Chinese drone giant says its latest firmware update “enhances Spark’s battery management system to optimize power supply during flight,” another apparent reference to the possible issue that’s been taking down some of these drones.

In July DJI told Digital Trends it tests its products “for thousands of hours, and the overwhelming number of customers enjoy using our products with minimal disruption.”

The latest update also adds support “to fully integrate Spark with the DJI Goggles, optimized the PalmLaunch function for better stability after takeoff, improved the accuracy of controls under the QuickShot Dronie mode, and enhanced the compatibility of the remote controller when syncing up with new firmware updates.”

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am

Would Monet call his work just painting.... :hyst: No Pazz :) I would not refer to your creations as just mere painting.... lol

I was referring to the more egregious painting the walls in the house and then watching it dry. Which truth be told has some kind of appeal in this busy hectic world.

For updating the software I have been using the DJI assistant software that sits on my computer. I use a USB to the aircraft and plug into the computer. No password is needed.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Until proved otherwise I still put this in the same category as forced Windows 10 updates. Grumble grumble.

Dave McElderry

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Yeah, well, it's sort of like when I was "writing". Falling asleep waaaay too often was more like it! :fg: I promise, watching paint dry truly is boring!!!

For updating the software I have been using the DJI assistant software that sits on my computer. I use a USB to the aircraft and plug into the computer. No password is needed.

Aha! I was trying to operate my quadcopter via my smartphone with a login requirement. It's been a while back. I'm not sure now exactly what I had to log into. Google maybe?

I don't have DJI on my computer. I'll see if I can upload it here. That would be nice. Oh, I don't have the DJI Spark. Mine is a Phantom 3, sort of basic (read the cheapest) version. And from something I remember seeing, it may be grounded too. I couldn't get it to work before, not via the phone, so I'll try again. This gives me incentive to tear the house apart looking for that notebook again. I've already moved every object in one quarter of this room with no luck. Two other quarters don't really hold my stuff, so I only have another quarter to go... there's no other room in the house that seems likely. The problem involves books. Stacks and stacks of books. Bookcases line the walls and are filled to the gills, so stacks began growing, first beside chairs, then they multiplied like rabbits and are all over the place. Like coat hangers, you know?

Thanks! I'm going to see if I can get the app thingy on my computer! :exc:
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Drones - Photo/Video