They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Maiden Voyage - Re-Edit

Talk about the advent of Drone photography and video.

Maiden Voyage - Re-Edit

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:24 am

Well at long last and after a whole lot of indecision I finally joined the quadcopter aficionados and purchased a DJI Spark drone. There a lot of really excellent quadcopters out there, so my decision was based primarily on size and cost. I had to sacrifice the 4k camera in exchange for the compactness and ability to carry this aircraft anywhere without a whole lot of hassle.

So as I understand this aircraft a bit better I will report back on some of my observations. In the meantime I went out to may backyard and to the quad out for its first maiden voyage.....

As always comments are appreciated.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Maiden Voyage

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 am

I think you've got a winner! It's amazing how rock solid the video is as the drone is moving around. As a personal note, I wasn't too thrilled with the lateral circular pans. Made me dizzy. Don't know how the others feel, but you might consider doing that differently in the edit. That's some backyard you've got there. How many full time gardeners do you employ? :-D
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks Dave.

This little aircraft is a pretty amazing piece of machinery. With all the sensors and stabilizing the video feels like it was floating. I am still trying to learn to fly better. The spin piece was only left in because of the passage in the music. But I agree it looks bad. It was my attempt to use it as a transition piece. Might need a new edit on that one.

The drone only flies for about 15 minutes which seems short but when flying still feels like a pretty long time. I am jumpy about trying not to loose sight so it does not fly away. Overall I am having a lot of fun with this little aircraft.

The gardeners are all volunteers as they aspire to bi in one of my opus recordings. Just don't stand too close when they are brandishing their rose clippers. :ha:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:20 am

It is great footage! But -- is that really your back yard!!!??
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:37 pm

It is great footage! But -- is that really your back yard!!!??

Thank you Steve... well if we are to include "figment of my imagination" as a real thing then yes....

But I do pay taxes and my tax dollars do support the Rosegarden so in a very convoluted and round about way... ummm.... well.... maybe..... sorta yes.... :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Always love seeing your back yard Sidd :TU:

Did you do any correction to the video at all? It is almost to good to be true, steady, great color, amazing !!
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks Chuck, the only correction I did was in Premiere Pro I used the Auto Level effect. But the steadiness is all in the aircraft. I will have to post another flight with no effect added. The color is pretty amazing. it has a 1/2.3 CMOS sensor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:47 pm

Congrats on your new toy Sidd! (errrr serious video tool) Smooth for your maiden voyage. Glad to see you did not buzz your guests. ;) The drone will come in handy to survey your garden to see what quadrant needs tending.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:06 am

Dave McElderry wrote:That's some backyard you've got there. How many full time gardeners do you employ? :-D

Of course it is Sidd's back yard :---) . I recall it being used on many of Sidd's previous videos! :-D

The gardeners wandering around added a nice scale factor but I would definitely be having words with those two just sitting on the bench instead of earning their crust. :-k

Nice work.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:20 am

Thanks Mom. I think that learning to make this more of a filmmaking tool than a flying toy is gonna take a bit of work. Mostly to get the right height and smooth pans but I am willing to tread on.

I would definitely be having words with those two just sitting on the bench instead of earning their crust.

Funny thing about the California labor laws....

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 pm

When you become an expert drone pilot, you can put on your macro lens and really get close to your intended subjects.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:00 pm

Peru, I am waiting till they start making macro lenses for the aircraft.

I did get a chance to go to the top-secret location where the aircraft was being put through its final checklist prior to flight. I had to be really careful sneaking the pictures out of the hangar......

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Their older brother? The guy looks pretty good considering what his age must be! :hyst:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:06 pm

I loved that, Sidd. :TU:
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:58 am

Their older brother? The guy looks pretty good considering what his age must be!

I knew he must have been using a fake name..... :eek:

I noticed that there was a Tesla parked outside and he kept talking about solar arrays....At one point he said his Uncle Elon was getting him design a new battery pac....... :eek:

I was so excited about the Spark I belived his story....

Sidd
sidd finch

Next

Return to Drones - Photo/Video